RL 26

That's funny. Reloader 26, is probably one of the best powders going. It might not work well in everyone's application, but it is versatile with medium heavy bullets. Accurate in 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag in my experience.
Indeed. Its outstanding, and comfortably compares with H1000 in 300 Win Mag. In 270 you can get near magnum velocities, like 3200 fps with a 150 grain bullet. I've loaded some 150 Berger bullets in my 270, combined with RL26. Due to the appealing weather we've had here, in the UK, I've not had a chance to test the accuracy yet
Also, being in the UK, H1000 hasn't been available for a long time due to some ******** European directive. Fortunately, we'll be gone from the EU before next year, so we may be able to get Hodgdon powders again.

Last edited:
In my 270, typical magneto speed readings are 3140,3140,3139,3140 and 3141. In my old creedmoor I struggled in load development because everything from 2820-2875fps shot into a hole and had less than 15fps es for 10. First load was 2855fps @ 2.855coal .003 off. Es 8 sd 3. After 300ish rounds I found that backing off . .3 .018 off had better vertical beyond 500 6es and sd of 2 for 10. I backed off a bit more and 20 shot groups looked like good 3-5 shot groups with better barrel mirage characteristics over the string.
In my 65/06ai 147's @ 3120 and 150smk's @ 3110 with plenty of margin another single digit ES. 7mag which I have not played with much due to what that rifle is however, 168 bergers @ 3090 into .5" @ 200 is going to get it done. That's as far as I have worked with a 7mag so far. I'm sure there are some finer attributes for a 7 but I don't have the desire to play with that one being a 700P at this time

I just picked up 8 lbs of RL26 from powder valley so it is trickling out. I was checking my normal suppliers daily for availability and finally found one 8 pounder in stock. I resisted RL26 for a long time due to temperature concerns and finally picked up a pound a while back. I have only burned about 3 lbs total but I have to say it is no joke. I don't know what Alliant did but it will push heavies to velocity I thought were being exaggerated on posts. May have to switch back to extreme powders during the summer if the claimed pressure spikes occur but for normal big game hunting temperature ranges it has been stable with wide accuracy nodes in 25 and 6.5 CM. Now that I have a supply will start testing with other cartridges/heavies.

Poked around and didn't find much info. Does anyone have any starting points with RL26 shooting heavies (250+) in 338 Winnie?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.