Rl 26!

the jigger

I just finished my load development with Rl26 for my 243 AI. I ran it across the chronograph this morning.
Nesika action
26" Hart 1in9 twist
48.5gr Rl 26
Hornady 105 BTHP Match
MV 3383fps (8fps spread for 5 shots)
Outdoor temp 93*
Back in the spring I had developed a load for this rifle with Rl22. Needless to say, with the coming of summer in Florida the pressure spike for that load was "scary".
As always, start low and work up.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING

my eyes are still bugged out from reading the mv with a 105 grain bullet from a 26" barrel.

a max load with that bullet in a .243 is about 3000fps. The improved version might get you 75fps, or maybe 3150fps. I'd certainly invest in a good flak jacket or a new chronograph, as I doubt that you could get 3380fps with a wad of C4 in that case.
gary

a max load with that bullet in a .243 is about 3000fps. The improved version might get you 75fps, or maybe 3150fps. I'd certainly invest in a good flak jacket or a new chronograph, as I doubt that you could get 3380fps with a wad of C4 in that case.
gary

lol

12% is a lot faster and not so much faster.

Alliant's 2015 Reloaders guide lists the 243Win + 105 A-Max with a minimum COAL of 2.630 and a charge of 46.7 grains of Reloader 26 with a 24" barrel at 3078. My QuickLoad model of this exact load produced a predicted speed of 3079.

Add 2 more inches of barrel gets us to 3136.

Adding the 1.8grains additional powder for the AI gets us to 3237.

So at this point we are really only %4.5 faster than "book".

More than one shooter has commented that Hart barrels are "fast". I know that my Hart barreled 300RUM is launching 210 VLDs at 3056fps. I believe, quite a bit faster than "book" for that load.

Might be a bit premature to get the flak jacket out :D. Just eye and ear protection.:)

So, Jigger: how does it shoot?

jfseaman,
4 of the first 5 shots went into .465" . the fifth was about .750 out. I can't stand success.
Today my 16 year old grandson shot across the chronograph. 4 shots went into one hole(.235); the fifth was about .75 out. He can't stand success either.
The chronograph I'm using is less than a year old and had a new battery. I can only read what it tells me. This was my first experience with RL26.

jfseaman,
4 of the first 5 shots went into .465" . the fifth was about .750 out. I can't stand success.
Today my 16 year old grandson shot across the chronograph. 4 shots went into one hole(.235); the fifth was about .75 out. He can't stand success either.
The chronograph I'm using is less than a year old and had a new battery. I can only read what it tells me. This was my first experience with RL26.
Was the last shot out in the same location?

The last shot was about .75 out at 11 o'clock.
My chronograph is a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono.

The last shot was about .75 out at 11 o'clock.
My chronograph is a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono.
If the last shot is always wide high left last shot of the 5 shot group then it's predictable. If it's predictable it's a physics problem. Most likely associated with barrel heating. Could be a close area of the stock. Could be just metallurgy.

Nice chronograph.

jigger,I'm here in N.Florida the temps during summer can raise havoc on some powders. How is that RL26 looking for pressure, extraction,etc. I may want to give it a go. Inhave some experience with RL powders but have not shot any in a few years. I'm curious about the 5th shot, you may try a 3rd person behind the rifle.

Dgd,
I've had no pressure signs. In early development I went up to 49.5gr with no cupped primers and no stiff bolt. The heavier loads expanded the groups as the quantity increased. In my brief experience with RL26 it seems to be pretty much what Alliant advertised. I haven't tried RL23.
RL 22 is strictly a winter powder for me!!

If the last shot is always wide high left last shot of the 5 shot group then it's predictable. If it's predictable it's a physics problem. Most likely associated with barrel heating. Could be a close area of the stock. Could be just metallurgy.

Nice chronograph.

This most likely. I have a 30-06 Rem 700 Mtn Rifle that will put two in the same hole and the 3rd one is always an inch away at 1 o'clock.
Starting to think my 264 is the same way. Oh well, like it's tough to go to the range and shoot all day :D

Well I finally got my 240 Weatherby, a Sako AV, Brux 26", 8" twist barrel and had 3 lbs of RL26 to play with, this is 105 Amax at 3.17" COAL:

53g - 3244
54g - 3316
54.5g - 3358
55g - 3375
55.5g - 3401
56g - 3427

It bucked harder at 56...but primers and bolt lift were fine.

With 58g and Sierra 85 HP it shot 3/8" @ 3,639 fps. No pressure, will move up with this load.

I'm looking forward to trying it in my 6.5x284 and 6.5 RSAUM. It seems like a heck of a powder...

I was skeptical of your results at first, but I see now RL26 can exceed velocity expectations.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.