RL 26 Starting Load

jraulsten

Would appreciate some info on a starting load with RL 26 for a 6.5 GAP 4s. Been using H1000 for break-in and barrel is just now starting to speed up at 140 rounds. I'm getting around 3000 by Magnetospeed with 58.7 grains H1000. Does 56 grains RL 26 seem like a reasonable start? I loaded 3 of each starting at 56 and going up to 57.5 and plan on checking velocities tomorrow. Just didn't want to push it because I have heard 26 burns a bit hotter than most expect. Thanks!

Jim

Caution: the following is acceptable in my rifle, but may not be in yours. Start low and work up.

My gap shoots best with H1000 at 60.5 grains with Berger 140 VLDH and 140 Hybrids. I am able to get 3075 fps. With RL26, it shoots best at 59 grains. When I get close to 60 grains with RL26, pressure becomes noticeable. I have not chrono'd the RL26 load.

My experience is pretty much spot on with rick's data, right down to the charge weights...
I've found I get about 100-150fps more with rl26 at about 1grain less powder than my h1000 loads in both my 6.5rsaums using 140 hybrids and 143 eld-x's...

Both h1000 and rl26 are giving single digit sd on my magnetospeed...

Here's my loads:
Gun #1
140 hybrid H1000 60.5 gr 3045fps, rl26 59gr 3140fps
143 eldx rl26 58.8 gr 3140fps

Gun#2
143 eldx rl26 57.7 gr 3070fps

Gun#2was very temperamental in load work up and didn't seem to like 140 hybrids no matter what I tried and took a lot of testing to get it to shoot the eldx's, had a very narrow charge load (maybe over .3-.4gr) where it would go from scattering them over 1.5 moa to under 1/2 then back to over 1.5....
Gun #1 will shoot almost everything I load in it well, except the load for gun #2, it shoots like crap....

As far as max pressure I think in gun #1 I hit 3200fps with h1000 Before pressure and I hit over 3200 with rl26 , never did find pressure with it and quit because I was well above my targeted speed at that point and quit.

I'd prob say start around 55-56 gr and work up...

Thanks for the info, guys! I have a an 8 twist Brux on this one just like my last. My last gun got around 3050 with 59.5 grains H1000 once it sped up. In the first nearly 200 rounds with that barrel it took 61.5 to get the same velocity! I was also starting to get a faint ejector mark at the 59.5 once it sped.

With my current barrel, I was starting to get faint ejector marks at 59 grains H1000 and around 2970 FPS. Now I'm getting around 3000 with 58.7 and still showing faint ejector marks.

Both guns are one-holers and not picky at all about loads. Funny how every barrel is different. I don't like to take chances but kind of wonder if the ejection marks aren't just because of the Hornady brass. My previous action was Surgeon and this one is a Kelbly's Atlas. I don't have any other signs of pressure. No sticky bolt, no flattened primers, no case head expansion, and primer pockets are still tight even after two firings.

Don't get me started on Hornady brass since that is entirely a different discussion. Short answer is the Hornady brass is very soft. There is a loooong discussion concerning this subject on the 6.5 SAUM forum if the moderators have not removed it.

Don't get me started on Hornady brass since that is entirely a different discussion. Short answer is the Hornady brass is very soft. There is a loooong discussion concerning this subject on the 6.5 SAUM forum if the moderators have not removed it.
Hope the ADG supposedly coming out this summer is better. Either that, or I need someone to teach me how to make it out of 7mm SAUM :)

Hope the ADG supposedly coming out this summer is better. Either that, or I need someone to teach me how to make it out of 7mm SAUM :)

I use nosler 300rsaum brass to make mine, neck it down in 2-3 steps with my bushing die, trim to uniform length and turn the neck to 15thou and you should be good to go... I have over 15 loadings on one of my first lots of 50 brass and they are still going strong... anneal about every 3rd firing..

If you can start with 7mmsaum brass you should be able to keep the case oal longer as the 300 is a bit shorter to start with....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts