RL 26 for 338LMAI

The 338 Lapua is easy to load for w/H1000. You should find your accuracy between 90-92 grains of powder (Depends on the reamer). If I recall, RL33 was designed for the Lapua based cartridges. I know guys that shoot it and are able to achieve higher velocities but with more powder.

RE26 is faster than Retumbo, yet around the same as H1000.
RE25 and Retumbo are almost identical in performance and RE25 yields higher velocities in most cases. These roles can reverse depending on cartridge size.
Burn rate charts are a guess at best.
There is no set standard to base the RQ numbers off of….so each manufacturer chooses a powder as their BASE RQ NUMBER POWDER and give it a RQ100, for example, IMR uses 4895 as their RQ100 powder and everything faster gets a higher number and everything slower gets a lower number. ADI, who makes the Hodgdon line, uses AR2206 as their RQ100 powder, yet this is no longer made and production went to AR2206H, which is the Hodgdon H4895 powder equivalent but is actually faster than the original AR2206.
Confusing?
You bet!

Cheers.

The 338 Lapua is easy to load for w/H1000. You should find your accuracy between 90-92 grains of powder.
Just looking for another option since I can't find Retumbo. Have plenty of H1000 and just had a chance to get some RL-26. Thinking it may give a few extra FPS that H1000, but more interested in accuracy than speed.

RE26 is faster than Retumbo, yet around the same as H1000.
RE25 and Retumbo are almost identical in performance and RE25 yields higher velocities in most cases. These roles can reverse depending on cartridge size.
Burn rate charts are a guess at best.
There is no set standard to base the RQ numbers off of….so each manufacturer chooses a powder as their BASE RQ NUMBER POWDER and give it a RQ100, for example, IMR uses 4895 as their RQ100 powder and everything faster gets a higher number and everything slower gets a lower number. ADI, who makes the Hodgdon line, uses AR2206 as their RQ100 powder, yet this is no longer made and production went to AR2206H, which is the Hodgdon H4895 powder equivalent but is actually faster than the original AR2206.
Confusing?
You bet!

Cheers.
On the burn chart
RL 25 is # 147
RL26 is #151
H1000 is # 152
Retumbo is #154
So I would thing 26 H-1000 are the closest to Retumbo, but splitting hairs?

I can assure you there is quite a jump going from H1000 to Retumbo.
Retumbo is only slightly slower in performance to RE33, yet RE25 is yielding more velocity than Retumbo…only difference with the Alliant powder is the fact it is double based.
I honestly feel that number for RE26 has been inflated some, it is considerably faster burning than RE25 in my experience.
A great powder often overlooked in Rigby based cartridges is US869, it is a great powder and yields high velocity with lower pressures and heat, it is nice on your throat.

Cheers.

Long story short, they will all work and should give you over 3000 fps of a 300 gr bullet (depending on barrel length). For lighter bullets I would lean to RL26 and for heavier I would go with RL33 of the powders you mentioned since velocity is your primary goal. However, if you plan on shooting in extreme temperatures I would choose H1000.

I shoot with a few 338lapua , not improved . 3 of us run RL33 100 gr - 102.5 gr , one guy is using H1000 I think 94gr . I was getting low in RL33 and could not find it . I found N570 , it gives a little more velocity , slightly less casefill . I also found RL50 , I didn't try it yet . it looks to give about the same velocity as RL33 , but with more casefill . I have RL26 , but it doesn't look as good as these other powders on quickload .

In my 338-416 Rigby Improved, I find either H50BMG or US869 the best performer. RE33 is also a great powder, however, seeing as though I can only get Retumbo or H50BMG at present, this is what I use.
When I had my Edge, Retumbo and RE33 were awesome and US869 was the bees knees…until my supply ran out.

Cheers.

I'm sure you will reach a higher velocity than I have with all of my 338's building the Ai .
So here is my testing so far :
Three different 30 " barrels achieved different velocity with H-1000 but Excellent Accuracy witch should be # 1 in think .
338 Edge , 300 gr bergers @ 2884 ft.per.sec proof barrel.

338 Edge. 300 gr bergers @ 2849 ft.per.sec McGowen barrel

338 Edge , 300 gr bergers, 29 " heavy Palma Kreiger barrel @ 2850 ft.per.sec

338 Rum , 300 gr bergers, 30 " Benchmark Carbon @ 2883 ft.per.sec
Did not have , rl -33 or Nv570 at the time for testing .
I'm betting that the 338 Lapua ai and Rl-33 should get you more velocity if that's what your chasing.

I couldnt complain one bit about H-1000 I achieved my personal best accuracy at 100 yards , 3 in the same hole and a 3 shot group at 3027 yards of 26 3/4" .

The only thing that more speed would do for me was save me a few clicks on the dile up for the shot .
Just my personal experience, I'm not trained or certified in anyway to do what I have Accomplished! Just a pure desire to take it Long !!

Rum Man

Last edited:

Recent Posts