RL 26 and lighter bullets

After burning H4350 for years behind 130s in my 270 running at 2880ish, I decided to try H4831sc to see if I could hit 3000ish and hopefully find the next accuracy node up without pressure. And whalaa! Very accurate, .5MOA at 3000fps, reasonably low ES/SD, 130gr Barnes TTSX out of a 22" Browning. So that's my hunting load for this rifle.

Sorry, I didn't see the first comment "RL26 is all I have". But since you have settled back on what you need for now, you might want to consider the 4831sc for load development over the winter. It's temp stable and not as slow as RL26. IIRC, I'm burning 59.9 behind the 130 Barnes.

Last edited:
Shooting 140s, I get 3100fps out of my 24" proof, in 6.5prc, with 57gr of R26.....and shoots as good as any rifle I've ever owned....ragged holes at 100 and so far I've only taken it to 300....but 3 shots right at an inch.

Shooting 120 copper solids out of my PRC with RL-26 with excellent velocity and accuracy. I'd tell you to try it, but agree it's late to start load development unless you can go to the range a few days in a row.

I'm considering going with a lighter bullet in my 270. Something like a Hammer at 129 gr. The only powder I have on hand is RL 26 which I acquired for use with 150 gr bullets.

I'm wondering what results others may have had using 26 and lighter bullets? My impression is that it's may be too slow for these lighter bullets.
It will be too slow

A good point on wasting powder. I originally acquired the 26 for it's performance with heavy bullets in the 150 range. Unfortunately I have not been able to get the 150 bullets that I want. Specifically partitions and ABs.

Today I was in wally world and cruised by the gun counter and there sat 3 boxes of rem 150 gr core lokt so I grabbed all three. Im not a big fan of them but other family members swear by them and put some dents in the elk and antelope populations so it's on with core lokt.

One of my seasons is open now (bear) and elk will be coming up in October so this seems like the best solution in these times of scarcity.

I'll get some RL 16 or 4350 and experiment with the hammers over the winter.

Thanks for the help with this. đź‘Ť
Hammer load development can be done in 10 shot's so it's not too late, I'll get you through it if you need help

After burning H4350 for years behind 130s in my 270 running at 2880ish, I decided to try H4831sc to see if I could hit 3000ish and hopefully find the next accuracy node up without pressure. And whalaa! Very accurate, .5MOA at 3000fps, reasonably low ES/SD, 130gr Barnes TTSX out of a 22" Browning. So that's my hunting load for this rifle.

Sorry, I didn't see the first comment "RL26 is all I have". But since you have settled back on what you need for now, you might want to consider the 4831sc for load development over the winter. It's temp stable and not as slow as RL26. IIRC, I'm burning 59.9 behind the 130 Barnes.
H4831SC will be too slow for the Bullets the OP wants to shoot

It'll work just fine depending on what your acceptable parameters are. But it does seem like it may be a waste of rl26, which is hard to find, especially given that if I'm not mistaken the hammers prefer faster than typical burn rates (or is that just the absolute hammers only…somebody will chime in about the differences I'm sure).
It will be too slow

I hunt deer and the design of their hunting bullets appeals to me along with the bearing surface design they have. I can see where that would alter what powder you choose. I am wondering if I can reach a higher node with them because of that very reason. Trouble is, right now, all components are extremely hard to find as you know. So I am not doing any new load development because of it. You still burning your powder up lol?

I will bet RL16 will be better option plus temp stability.

It will be too slow

All of your posts above are confirming that. đź‘Ť

I'm going to watch for an appropriate powder and work on a load later this year if the supply chain gods will smile.

Meanwhile, I have come across three boxes of Rem 150 Core Lokt from the same lot. I gave one box to a grandson. The other two will get me through this year's hunting.

Thanks for your help with this.