RL-26 and 6.5-284

Bama73

Hello, first post here, I really enjoy the site. I recently bought a Savage BVSS 6.5-284 26" bbl. I have 140 grain AMAX bullets, and want to try Reloader 26 powder. I have seen the positive results Retumbo and H1000 have in this caliber, but it's near impossible to find here. I did get a pound of RL-26 and called Alliant and they have no data for it in 6.5-284. He said it was really close to RL-25 and that's all I could get out of him.

I was wondering if someone has RL-25 data for 140 grain bullets, or could maybe run the RL-26 in quickload to help give me a starting point. Also I have standard large rifle and large rifle magnum primers, which would be best for this combination ? This will be my first time reloading for a rifle, as all my experience is in pistol and shotgun reloading. I have a mentor who is willing to help me, but he has little experience with the 6.5 and didn't want to guess on where to start.

Nope but have run 140's with RL 22 at 50grs with Fed210 primer at 2865 in 24" barrel. So it for sure would be safe to start 50-51 grains with RL26 and work up.

Also had a friend using load of 51.5gr RL22 with CCI BR-2 primer that was getting 3100+ in 30" barrel with 142gr HPBT Match King......

this was a load of reloaders nest. If its close to RL25 then I would start out a little lower like 53 to 54 grains and work my way up always looking for pressure. if you have a chrono then use it also checking the velocity.

Thanks guys. To be extra safe I think I'll start at 50 grains and go from there. This is all new to me so I am really cautious with this stuff.

Where is the burn rate for RL-26? I know IMR and h 4350 are on the lower third of the chart but I was wanting to check this RL-26 out and RL-22 out. Il be using it for both/either 6.5x55 and my current build 6.5x284. Better info on both would be awesome.

I did some testing with RL-26 in my 6.5-284 with a 29" proof barrel.

Lapua brass, CCI BR2, 140 amax.

Worked up to 54.8 grains at 3135 fps before I started seeing pressure signs.

Never did any serious accuracy testing with it and the rifle has since been re-barreled to a .280AI. But RL-26 is super accurate in the .280AI.

I am running RL26 in my 65284...
24.5" barrel...
55gr....
Lapua brass...
Fed 210 GM primers...
142lrabs...
3.15 oal....
Decent load...2975fps
Best was 55.8 but was at hi end...ejector marks...3070fps
.75" @ 100

Santee...curious on load numbers for rl26 in your 280ai....

Last edited:
I use it in a 6.5-06 that's a ballistic twin. I'm running 56gr of re26 with a 140gr Berger. same load of re26 was 55gr and same load of h1000 @ 54.5gr. the re26 boosted my velocity to 3015 from a 25" barrel.

Having become intrigued with the reported results of R26, I purchased about 8 pounds of R26 to do some testing in a couple my 26" 6.5x284's, comparing it to Retumbo for velocity, accuracy, ES, and temperature stability. Retumbo has been my go-to powder for several years with well proven results. Muzzle velocity of approximately 3000FPS was achieved using 57-58gr of Retumbo compared to 53-54gr of R26. With both powders, velocity increase/decrease within a 50FPS range was about 5FPS/.1gr charge weight change. Both powders indicated pressure signs starting to develope in the 3040-3050FPS range. Retumbo seems to be a slower burning powder with greater bulk then the R26. ES/SD was generally a bit better with R26, while 200 yard, 5 shot groups were a bit better with Retumbo....in my rifles. Both powders were capable of SD's in the 5-10 range, and accuracy in the .5MOA range. Accuracy nodes with both powders occurred at 2975-3000FPS, and at 3040-3050 with my rifles. I didn't bother to spend much time with velocities below 2975FPS. Temperature stability between the two powders were comparable at approximately 1FPS per .5 degrees F change......however, pressure/velocity spikes occurred with R26 when temperatures were above 80F, or cartridges were exposed to direct sun at lower temps and subject to heat build up. My loads in 6.5x284 used Lapua brass, and both Berger 140 HVLD's and Hornady 143 ELD-x's. While I don't have nearly the same time working with the Hornady's, I see better accuracy at both short and long range with the Berger's in my rifles, often in the .25MOA range. Primers used were Federal 210M and CCI BR2's. While both primers performed very similarly, the choice could be used to fine tune for optimum accuracy and ES, depending on the particular rifle and/or specific load as a final step. The optimum bullet seating depth established for a particular rifle seemed to make little difference between using either of the two powders. Beacuae Retumbo was a slower burner, using more powder to produce comparable velocities, charge weights became slightly compressed(crunching) at the higher charge weights, while R26 seemed to produce velocity pressure signs before loads were compressed.
IMO, with the exception of the concern high temperature stability effects encountered, R26 can be a viable alternative for a high velocity powder in the 6.5x284. For use in the cooler climates/seasons, the high temperature stability question would be moot.
IMPORTANT POINT! As is the case with ANY load recommendations, results are for my chambers/barrels. While they are very close to the dimensions and the .188" freebore of the NORMA spec, you should still start your load development a couple of grains lower with either powder as a safety precaution!

Reloder 26 in my 6.5X284 Norma and 300 RUM, showed dangerous pressure spikes in 80+ degree weather also, just short of catastrophic, in the 6.5X284 Norma! Retumbo for me.

Reloder 26 in my 6.5X284 Norma and 300 RUM, showed dangerous pressure spikes in 80+ degree weather also, just short of catastrophic, in the 6.5X284 Norma! Retumbo for me.[/QUOTE
What was the load you were using when you saw the pressure spikes?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.