RL-23 7mm RM 140 Berger VLD

tomt

I 'm going to start a load development for my new Tikka 7mm with 140 Bergers and RL-23. Has anybody shot shot this combo and if so how did it perform. More concerned with accuracy, still would like some speed. I'm thinking to start at 65 and work up to 67+/-. I have other powders, just thinking about RL-23 for copper and temp. Thanks Tom

Not in 7mag but with quite a few other highly overbore chambers using heavy for caliber bullets. So far in all the stuff I've played with it's essentially identical for velocity at any given charge weight as H4350 but marginally more temp stable. I've not had any signs of differences in pressure using normal pressure signs as my guide. It meters like garbage so I've got to weigh every charge but I do that anyway unless using ball powder. RL-23 is probably my favorite powder in its burn rate class.

I use RL23 in my 7RM, but not with the 140 Bergers. I am using the 145 Hammer Hunters. I started at 65gr and ended up at 67.8 or 68.7 can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have my notes in front of me. I think 65gr is a good starting point.

Yeah..meters like garbage...send it all to me...i will throw it away....52.4grs at a time.....😁
Not in 7rm....
These kinds of responses puzzle me. It's like the people that write such things don't read any part of the post except the minor criticism of a thing and then suddenly think they're entitled to someone else's stuff. /me keeps such people at arms length.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I started with RL22 in the 7RM until I put a new barrel on my 7mm a few years back. I switched to H1000 and 180gr Berger. RL23 wouldn't shoot the eld consistently. Then I dropped weight to the 140gr class of monos. RL23 and the hammer hunters go 3200fps and sub moa so I picked up another jug of it last year.

I think it's an extremely accurate powder and does very well in cold weather. I shoot it in my 7mm RM, 22-250AI, 25-06 and a few others. 22-250 AI shoots 75gr elds in the .3s

I started with RL22 in the 7RM until I put a new barrel on my 7mm a few years back. I switched to H1000 and 180gr Berger. RL23 wouldn't shoot the eld consistently. Then I dropped weight to the 140gr class of monos. RL23 and the hammer hunters go 3200fps and sub moa so I picked up another jug of it last year.

I think it's an extremely accurate powder and does very well in cold weather. I shoot it in my 7mm RM, 22-250AI, 25-06 and a few others. 22-250 AI shoots 75gr elds in the .3s
I also use it in my 25-06 with 92gr Hammers Hunters at 3490fps. Shoots .5 moa or under. My 7mm RM shoots the 145 Hammers 3260fps .5moa or under as well. I need to find some more RL23. I am down to 2lbs.