RL-17

No one's recipe is going to be a drop in fit for your platform. I ran RL 17 with moly'd 140 hybrids, 44gr at 2950, 24" barrel, don't do this.
I also developed a load for a friend, 42.5gr, 105 amax. 2860fps or so.
One reason you never want to take someone's recipe with RL powders is lot to lot consistencies.
My advice would be to start at 41gr and work up.

Thanks milo-2! No, I would not take a recipe at heart, I would back off and build back up to find the desired node with no pressure signs. I was just curious to see what others were running to get a good starting point as you have advised. I'm running a 26" Bartlein light palma barrel and have been using H4350 but need a back up powder when it gets hard to find and I forget to do inventory and run out. Thanks for the reply

Berger has the load data for the 140 Gr. Elite Hunter for 6.5 CM loads. They include RL17. See clip below.

1582049286062.png

With rl-17, if you have hornady brass your probably going to land around 42-42.5 grains. That's where I've always had my luck. Ran 42 grains of rl-17 with a 140 eld @ 2885 for awhile. I've since switched to rl-16 (temp stability) but had great accuracy and speed with 17.

I'm using Lapua brass, just got a fresh batch and want to try the RE 17. I loaded Barnes 140 gr Match Burners and shot three shot group in to almost the same hole. S.D.'s was 4.7 and I was 2 gr over what max load was from Barnes. No pressure signs but seen it spread as I increased load up to 41 grains in two grain increments. No pressure signs so I guess I need to keep going up to find the next node hopefully with out seeing pressure signs.

41.5 of RL17 with all my 140 grain bullets. My 22 inch barrel they are coming out at 2725 fps. My 26 inch barrel they are coming out at 2780 fps. Start lower and work up.

No worries! I feel once I try to climb to the next node I will see pressure signs with the 140 gr Barnes. I will work the Bergers up in two grain increments to I see pressure signs and then back off. I want to push it to shoot out to 1000 yards and feel like I need the speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.