RL-17 in a 7mm-08

400bull

I recently picked up a Browning X-bolt 7mm-08 and plan on putting some rounds together for it over the holiday weekend. I have a bunch of RL-17 setting at home that I would like to use up. Any thoughts in using RL-17 in a 7mm-08? The bullet of choose at this time will be the Nosler 140 Accubond.

400bull

I have the Sako finn lite in 7mm-08 . It loves Varget and 140 accubonds. It is summer and the loads you work up now will not be the same in fall -winter. Need to try the temp extreme powders.:)

I recently picked up a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08. It shoots well with 140 gr Accubonds using Varget. I started at 41.5 gr and worked up in 1/2 gr increments. Haven't used RL- 17.

What kind of velocities are you getting with Varget? I have not been able to get to the range yet to test out my RL-17 loads yet. I hopping to get somewhere around 2850 fps. If I can not get the speeds/groups from RL-17 that I am wanting I will give Varget and H414 ago.

400bull

I am loading max at 45.3 gr. 140 gr accubond rem cases and win primers. It will shoot .379 cold and .410 warmed up a bit. i would work up to that load carefully.gun)

I did see a max load of 44.6 gr of Varget with a listed velocity of 3,050 fps which I'm assuming would be at or close to max, if not a bit past. I've never loaded that hot. Didn't see any accuracy data for it. Seems to me that your load would be hard to beat

Was just wondering if you guys have tryed the varget yet. I should also mention that when I got the second jug of Varget I had to RE work up my load. It just did not shoot as well as first. Next time I buy Varget it will be in a 8 lb jug. Plott Hound

These #'s must be from short barrels??? 24" and under?? Im getting an 7mm-08 improved this week chambered on a benchmark 3 grove and have a 28" blank that I was going to cut off around 26.5 or so. Hopeing to shoot RL 17 with 162'S and launch em around 2850 2900! Maybe im dreamn!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts