Rl-17 in 280ai

bamadawg2009

Im thinking of getting a 5lb jug of RL-17 for my 300WSM and I also want to try some in my 280AI with some 168VLDs. Anybody got any load data for the 280AI using RL-17? Dont ask me why its already a .4 and under gun with RL-22 and 140VLDs just want a little bigger pill I guess and a better BC.

I'm using rl-17 in my 280 AI---shoots lights out. 54.8 behind the 168 vld and it is at 2967 fps. Always shoots in the .3 I get pressure around 56.0 and it is doing 3078 but the accuracy falls off. Very happy with the powder although we'll see how it does under various temps.

Randy

Sounds like Ill be sending Powder Valley some money and getting a box of 168 Bergers and some RL-17. Thanks for the info just what I wanted to know. I don't think I have to worry as much about the weather effecting the powder here, most winters we have are very mild with lows in the upper 20's and highs in the low 70s. I usually do load data in October to early November when temps are close to hunting season temps.

I had great accuracy in 25-06, 6.5-06, 280 and 30-06 with RL-17.....But I alos have seen Accuracy degradation due to pressure delta brought on by what I believe was temperature as the predominant factor. about 40-50 degree temperature change from load development to summer use.

But Velocity and Accuracy are sweet with RL17....until.

There is always the possiblity I got a bad batch/lot or some factor influencing my accuracy I did not observe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.