Rivers West or Sitka

I have owned both and will take the Sitka everyday over Rivers west. Now keep in mind the RW stuff was some of the first. It was horrible for stop and stalk hunting as it didn't breath at all. And when I did get caught out in a downpour I was soaked to the bone. I don't wear it anymore. I have the sitka stuff now and love it. it breathes and sheds water very very well. I have not got caught in a downpour yet with it but I did stand outside all day in a steady drizzle. The outer layer was wet but I was bone dry. and it dried about 15 mins after I got inside. This was with a 90% jacket not the downpour gear. I'll be checking out this new stuff as well. good luck

I just checked out the KUIU website and man I am impressed. The pricing structure is listed and WOW if they can deliver on that they won't be able to keep the stuff in stock. I will be buying some as soon as it it available. I'm glad they are using merino wool as baselayers. I always used it and for me it's the best way to go. Thanks to whoever it was who brought this new company up.

Jason the owner of Kuiu started Sitka.
I tried on the pack a couple weeks ago and was amazed. Super light and really comfortable and not binding.
I have not seen the clothing line but the material he is using for the rain gear is super light and appears to be really tough. I will be ordering all of it.

As stated, Jason Hairston was the mastermind behind Sitka and is now launching KUIU. As good as Sitka is, KUIU really is a step up. The biggest improvement in the clothing line are the fabrics. Sitka is very good, but KUIU is the absolute best. Knowing Jason for a while, I have accumulated quite a collection of Sitka gear and it is great gear. I used a proto-type set of KUIU clothing this last season and can truly say it is an upgrade. The stretch and combination of breathability and water resistence (actually closer to water proof) is absolutley unbelievable. I haven't got over to his shop to try the pack out yet, but a buddy has and says it is better than it looks/sounds. I will be hog hunting next month with Jason and a group of guys, so I am sure he will bring the pack along so I will get to see it in action at least.

I dont like Rivers West for hunting. They make a nice fishing jacket, a buddy of mine has one and likes it. But for hunting it is too warm (unless maybe you are stand hunting or something) and will not breathe at all......... Last year during elk season a few of the guys had Rivers West and I had my Cabelas MT050 Gore Tex. We would all sweat some (me not nearly as bad) when making a hunt but by the time we would get back to camp either on a 4 wheeler or in a truck I would be dry and they would still be soaked and by that time cold. It would also take a lot longer for their raingear to dry out hanging in the wall tent with the wood stove goin. Not saying the MT050 Gore Tex is a be all end all or anything but compared to the Rivers West, I would choose it any day. I have heard lots of good feedback on the Sitka but have never used it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.