Rings or rail?

Blueman

I'm building a new STW and am trying to figure out if I want to put talley 1 piece rings (medium) on it or a picatinny rail. I'm using a stiller action so I would put a stiller rail on it if I went that route. My concern is, will this raise the height of the scope overall? Or can I get rings that would keep it the same height as the medium height talley rings? Also I will be using a 50 mm scope.

I'm building a new STW and am trying to figure out if I want to put talley 1 piece rings (medium) on it or a picatinny rail. I'm using a stiller action so I would put a stiller rail on it if I went that route. My concern is, will this raise the height of the scope overall? Or can I get rings that would keep it the same height as the medium height talley rings? Also I will be using a 50 mm scope.

Go for the rail AND rings for your setup...I sure did.

I want to go with the rail, my concern is that it will raise the height of my scope. I don't want my scope higher because I'm not getting an adjustable comb. Can anyone else shed some light on the subject?

Thanks

I want to go with the rail, my concern is that it will raise the height of my scope. I don't want my scope higher because I'm not getting an adjustable comb. Can anyone else shed some light on the subject?

Thanks

A rail with Weaver style rings shouldn't raise your scope any more than the low rings mounted directly on the action and with a 50mm objective lense you'll have to get the scope up pretty high anyway. Seems to me that with a 50mm objective, rail and Weaver style rings (I might try these http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-zee-signature-30mm-rifle-scope-mount-rings-for-weaver-bases.html)
My 40m objective just barely clears the barrel with that setup.

I took the talley one piece off my 6.5x284 and installed a near 20 moa rail and seekins rings. The scope is no higher and has a 50mm objective. If your mounting a scope with target turrets that is the way to go. Without the target turrets the talley one piece is a good mounting system and probably costs less than the Stiller rail and rings.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.