Rings Around Should of Brass

scsims

This is .243 brass and has been reload 8 times. They have been neck sized only and I check the case length and trimm as needed.

What are the rings around the case neck caused by and should I keep using this brass?

389EDC3F-51C6-4D2E-AB40-0BD5FD9F2EE9-2792-000003F2617D2CD2.jpg

89C98171-C7CB-4F14-A324-DAA142B6308D-2792-000003F2570F36A1.jpg

This is .243 brass and has been reload 8 times. They have been neck sized only and I check the case length and trimm as needed.

What are the rings around the case neck caused by and should I keep using this brass?

389EDC3F-51C6-4D2E-AB40-0BD5FD9F2EE9-2792-000003F2617D2CD2.jpg

89C98171-C7CB-4F14-A324-DAA142B6308D-2792-000003F2570F36A1.jpg

They are very consistant so I would guess it is in the chamber or your sizing die.

Other than looks , it is ok to shoot.

J E CUSTOM

I didn't notice it until I started reloading the Berger 95gr vlds. This was the first loading with the Bergers.

Could it be a sign of over pressure? This is a max load and I did get slight ejector marks on a few of them.

Looks like it is due to one of the steps in the reloading process. I wouldn't think all the cases could be seperating at the same time. You could make a "feeler" from a paper clip and check the inside of the shoulder, or just cut a case in half and have a look to be sure.
db

I didn't notice it until I started reloading the Berger 95gr vlds. This was the first loading with the Bergers.

Could it be a sign of over pressure? This is a max load and I did get slight ejector marks on a few of them.

It could be signs of pressure but if you want to make sure Get on line and google Brownells
and order some cerrosafe.

Follow instructions and make a cast of your chamber. If there is reamer marks or rings in
the chamber It will show you. Lower pressure loads may not force the brass into shallow grooves.

The best way to check the chamber is to use a bore scope with a 90o mirror but they are
expensive. (Unless you know someone that has one).

J E CUSTOM

It could be signs of pressure but if you want to make sure Get on line and google Brownells
and order some cerrosafe.

Follow instructions and make a cast of your chamber. If there is reamer marks or rings in
the chamber It will show you. Lower pressure loads may not force the brass into shallow grooves.

The best way to check the chamber is to use a bore scope with a 90o mirror but they are
expensive. (Unless you know someone that has one).

J E CUSTOM
+1 Chamber is what I was thinking too

Forgot to ask, are the markings on the case a groove or raised mark? Looks like a groove from the pic. If it is in the chamber or even a die, you should be able to see it with just a light.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts