Rings Around Case Shoulder

General RE LEE

Any explanation what these rings are around my Nosler case shoulder on my 7mm STW? I full length resize and bump shoulder back .002. I use Lee Pacesetter die

Note the 7mm STW shoulder.

Attachments

• 9FABDC86-0990-4996-8420-8517DB4231DD.jpeg
    9FABDC86-0990-4996-8420-8517DB4231DD.jpeg
    927.8 KB · Views: 266

nmbarta

rough chamber, looks like it could be polished out. Shouldn't cause any real problems there, if that's on the case wall it can be a bugger. That part of the reamer does the bulk of the cutting, I wouldn't worry much about it, but it would bug me for sure.

Bob Wright

Bore scope it? I agree with above. Rough cutter, but if it shoots good, then it's just annoying.
It's getting resized more at the body/shoulder and leaving a witness mark in the process.
I would measure brass before and after sizing there, just out of curiosity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210416-231112_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-231112_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 73

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
I guess a $30 die can’t be perfect lol
I have a Lee dies in 7MM STW also but never have issues as you have. It seems like you are having all kinds of challenges with your STW build. As noted in #2 and 3, better dies will not resolve your issue if this is the case. "If" it is a reamer issue, allow the gunsmith to make it right, then find a better gunsmith for future projects.

nkyshooter

First - let me just say, I love Lee Precision products ... especially their collet neck sizer. That being said, I would never claim they are the "high quality" choice ...

I had rings like this appearing upon FIRING as opposed to resizing ... it was due to a rough chamber that needed to be polished. If this is occurring upon RESIZING, then I'd bet this is due to a rough die that needs to be polished.

This is a tool that might help you out not only for this die but other similar needs (i.e. chamber polishing, etc) ...

Sorry to post a link from the pirates at midway ... but google it and I am sure you can find it from a seller that has some honor in their bones ...

MW204

LRH Team Member
First - let me just say, I love Lee Precision products ... especially their collet neck sizer. That being said, I would never claim they are the "high quality" choice ...

I had rings like this appearing upon FIRING as opposed to resizing ... it was due to a rough chamber that needed to be polished. If this is occurring upon RESIZING, then I'd bet this is due to a rough die that needs to be polished.

This is a tool that might help you out not only for this die but other similar needs (i.e. chamber polishing, etc) ...

Sorry to post a link from the pirates at midway ... but google it and I am sure you can find it from a seller that has some honor in their bones ...
Pirates at midway, love that as old larry potterfield has a very short memory who made him a millionaire. I still get stung by the pirate from midwayusa but only as a last resort does the pirate get a penny from me.