Rings and Bases Question for Magnums

Jcooper

I recently bought a Kimber Montana 300wsm and a Nightforce 5.5x22x56. I have a set of Leupold rings and mounts that will fit perfectly, but I'm not sure if they'll be sturdy enough. Would you guys consider Leupold to be a better choice, or satisfactory choice, for my setup? After all of the money I've spent, I don't want to let another $100 or so compromise my accuracy. This is my first magnum, so I'm not sure what to expect. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jason

Last edited:
Jason,

if you install the bases and rings correctly and lap them what you have will work just fine. I've used them for a .30-06, a 7mm Wby magnum and a 270 WSM without a problem. In addition they've been used on thousands of magnum rifles.

However, if you want what I (and many here) think is a better system then swap your Leupold rings for Burris Signature rings. Take a look at the video here; I know it's a lot of advertisement but you get the idea:
Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

As the guy in the video says, you can use the inserts to adjust your initial point of impact to be very, very close to where the bullet is going to hit when you shoot. Using a laser boresighter (and a ballistics program) I can set up a rifle to hit paper at 100 without firing a shot.

Some of the long rangers set it up so that the scope points below the 100 yard POI and they'll have more chance to use the full range of the scope's vertical adjustment.

FYI if you have the rear Leupold mount with the "windage screws" you can use those to adjust your left/right and can then use the inserts to adjust the up/down only. That works much easier.

Oh, and if you get them one of the least expensive places is Optics Planet. Buy the insert kit for $14.99 while you're at it to save yourself from having to order it later.

Your rings will work fine. A 300WSM is no heavy kicker. When you get your custom 5 1/2 pound 378Wby mountain rifle you might want to think about upgrading.

I like Signature rings in double dovetail bases or on weaver style bases. The windage adjustable bases tend to move around a bit. They are working on my 257Wby but slid on the 300Wby.

Between my boys and I we have 5 - 300 win mags. All with Leupold bases and rings. A couple of the guns are over 20 years old. No problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.