rings and bases help

jerryarlington

I bought the scope below. What kind of base and rings do I need for a Kimber 8500 win mag. (just happened to have one). I am try to get set up for long range shooting 600+ yards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Arlington
Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

EBR-1 MOA Reticle | 30mm Tube

dim_pst-t.jpg
Lengths L1 L2 L3 L4 L5 L6 15.5 2.5 2.2 6.0 5.8 3.6 Heights H1 H2 2.26 1.63

For a long range rig, I like the Burris Signature Zee 30mm rings (about $45 from Graffs). They come in 3 heights (you would probably use the "high" with that scope) and have plastic inserts that go between the scope and actual ring. The -10/+10 inserts can be used to tilt the scope to gain an additional 20 MOA of come up - no special rail required. (This is done by tilting the front of the scope down.) Also, they don't torque or mark the scope and don't have to be honed. I don't use anything else if I have a choice. You can use these with any bases compatible with Weaver style cross slots.

Thanks. I just ordered rings and bases from Midway.

I see you are from Washington state. I live on the east side. Grandview.

I just finished RSO training for the Tri-City Shooting Association, yesterday.

Do you get over this way to shoot? They have a 1000 range.

Jerry,

Sounds like you have the rings figured out.

I shoot at the Cascade range by Ravensdale (Seattle area). We have 1,000 members but I'm often the only one there. There are 4 pistol ranges, archery, shotgun and 3 rifle ranges the longest being 600 yards. If I'm ever in the Tri-Cities it is usually on the way to the Blue Mtns.

rings were a little more 64$. I am also setting up a 338 win mag, just happened to have that gun also. I am having a break put on that one. Kicks way to hard to shoot accurately. I am having a fixed 20 power.SWFA Super Sniper put on it. I also have a 300 Weatherby mag with a 3x9 Leupold boone and crocket on it, I hunt with this one.

My theory is never sell a gun, just buy another one. Guns rarely go down in value. That's what I tell my wife!

Thanks for the help, if your ever over this way, I'll take you out to the range.

Jerry

You are right, guns don't seem to go down in value. I paid $168 for my Sako Finnbear 30-06 in 1968. It now wears a 26" custom Krieger barrel but it is still a 30-06 and it is still my favorite action of them all. It is worth a tad more than $168 these days. I also have a couple of the best Colt revolvers ever made and I can't believe what they sell for used. Of course you can't buy them anymore which may have something to do with the crazy prices.

I have 5 Hardy Bougle MK IV fly fishing reels. A complete set: 3",3 1/4" 3 1/2",3 3/4",4"! I bought them a couple of years ago. I did have to pay $765 for the 3 1/4" just to complete the set. I bought all the rest for well under that. I just saw a 4" on ebay for $1999.00!

The new ones, machined in Korea, are selling for around $450-600 depending on size, but they are already on sale! The old ones made in England continue to go up in value! I lucked out and bought three from the same guy before they became an "item", especially since Spy casting has become so popular in the US.

It seems that anything that was very well built in the past, grows in value. A lot of the trash produced today, is rarely useable after it gets a little use and age. Quality counts!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.