Rings and bases aluminum or steel ?

locotrician

Invisible
I always assumed steel rings and bases were better than aluminum at holding the scope and having all the screws stay tight. I mean to compare apple to apples so to speak I don't mean a 12 dollar aluminum component vs 150 dollar steel unit. After some research if I understand things correctly steel on steel has a lower coefficent of friction than aluminum on steel does . Does this mean if my scope tube is steel I should get a good set of aluminum instead of a good set of steel. Is there any advangatge to mixing steel and aluminum rings bases ?

Last edited:
I always assumed steel rings and bases were better than aluminum at holding the scope and having all the screws stay tight. I mean to compare apple to apples so to speak I don't mean a 12 dollar aluminum component vs 150 dollar steel unit. After some research if I understand things correctly steel on steel has a lower coefficent of friction than aluminum on steel does . Does this mean if my scope tube is steel I should get a food set of aluminum instead of a good set of steel. Is there any advangatge to mixing steel and aluminum rings bases ?

Aluminum is less likely to mar a scope or receiver if installed improperly and if you are trying
to save weight aluminum does contribute to a lighter system, even though not very much.

I personaly don't like the standard aluminum anything. There are aluminum alloys that are
much better and these are normally the high end parts.

The best light weight material is titanium but it is more expensive than the steel accessories.

I personally Like the good steel rings and bases for price and durability and the coefficient of
expansion is the same as the reicever.

If properly installed all of the better made rings and bases will work well and not mar the
scope or reicever.

And for best results never mix different rings to different basses no mater what material they
are made of. Buy them bu the set and stick with the same brand because the are machined
as a set and work best.

I know that I'm to picky but I never turn the ring caps around because they are machined
in that position and if you turn them around they may not line up with each other perfictly.

J E CUSTOM

so far i use and like the ken farrell g force base and rings just wondering if there was something to having aluminum rings on a steel tube as far as "grip" . im not overly concerned if the scope gets ring marks as long as it stays in place.

I always assumed steel rings and bases were better than aluminum at holding the scope and having all the screws stay tight. I mean to compare apple to apples so to speak I don't mean a 12 dollar aluminum component vs 150 dollar steel unit. After some research if I understand things correctly steel on steel has a lower coefficent of friction than aluminum on steel does . Does this mean if my scope tube is steel I should get a good set of aluminum instead of a good set of steel. Is there any advangatge to mixing steel and aluminum rings bases ?

You have a steel scope tube? I'm curious what scope that is.

Just about the entire BR crowd uses Aluminum myself included for both competition rifles and sporters. JJ Loh makes them from 7075 in the T7 condition (Kelby Style). I also bond my bases as well and they are 2pc because my actions are stiff enough to preclude the use of 1pc bases.

After having some accuracy issues lately due to mounting issues, I have been mulling over in my head what is going to work the best. First and foremost, bedding a one piece base to my receiver solved the issue I was having.

I am still not convinced what works the best when it comes to which materials to use for a mounting system. It has been stated alot lately that steel and AL constrict at different rates.

Since Scopes are typically AL including the ones I use and the receiver is steel sooner or later there is a transition between steel and AL.

I would love to know if there is any one combination that is more reliable than the other. For example, would a AL base against a steel action and then AL rings on a AL scope work better or worse than a steel base on a steel reciever with steel rings on a AL scope. Or a steel base on a steel action with AL rings on a AL scope.

Maybe I am worrying too much over thinking this??

Use the best quality rings you can possibly afford, aluminum or steel...

Quality aluminum, when the goal is to save weight, otherwise go with steel...

Proper install trumps everything!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.