Rings and base choice

G

After lots of digging around. I have decided to go with a FArrell base for my Win mod 70 Coyote in 300 WSM.

I have a Nikon scope with 44 mm objective. Using this FArrell base, what height rings would be recomended. I was thinking the Burris or Leupold PRW rings. Can't afford the Farrell rings yet.

Also, with this base 20 MOA will I be able to get a zero at 100 yards?

Any help would be great

Joe

I have what I believe is the same scope in Leupold QRW rings on a Farrell 20moa base on a heavy barrelled Remington 700 in .22-250. I can barely get a zero at 100 yards with the adjustment bottomed out. I have no problem getting the 100 yard zero with my 30mm tube Super Snipers mounted though. With the 1" tube, I would recommend less taper. Also, the Farrell base is pretty thick. And I found that medium height rings are too tall for a reasonable objective size such as what you have. I don't think you'll need anything taller than low rings.

I tried the Leupold bases..NO can do. 3 sets and the rear base is still not thick enough for me to get zero at 100 yards..I'm shooting below the target. What about the lightforce bases? 2 piece?

Joe

It's a base issue. If you run a straight edge across from the front to the rear base..I have a 1/16 gap above the rear base. I have seen several threads on this on other sites.

Joe

Ah, then the Farrell base will fix the problem. I think I would still think about the 15MOA base instead of the 20MOA for a 1" tube, but you will definitely get rid of the problem you are having. Good luck.

Maybe the Farrell 20 MOA is the ticket then. I am at the bottom of the DOWN adjustment and hit just at the top of the x-ring at 100 yards. Your problem just doesn't make sense to me unless your scope is sitting WAY above centerline. I've never had a problem zeroing any rifle at 100 yards with a flat base with any ring combination, I wonder if you have a scope problem. Do you have another scope you could mount and try?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.