Ring Hieght

jtr1997

I have a tikka t3 and am planning on putting nightforce tikka rail on it with a SHV 4-14x56, what hieght rings would i need im assuming high but am unsure

It's your face which needs to have a comfortable fit so your eye will be centered on the scope when your cheek is snuggled against your trigger hand and stock.

I keep a few cheap import ring sets just for testing rifles for a comfortable fit to scopes being fitted to rifles. After determining that buy the rings which fit you.. The most comfortable height will vary with your shooting position, such as standing vs prone. Your question is like asking what size boots you should buy to fit your skis.

what im asking is what hieght of rings will put the 56mm objective about a 1/4 inch space between the objective and barrel

Jtr,
Medium should work fine on your Tika.

Here is a method to determine what will and what will not work that I found;

"Determing ring height doesn't require more than a simple elementary school ruler. You measure 3 things:
1. the height of the front of your base/rail from the barrel
2. the height of your rings from the top of the rail to centerline
3. the outside diameter of the bell of the scope (not the size of the objective lens)

Here is the equation:
[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]
If the value is positive, then your bell will clear the barrel. Optimally, you want that bell to be about 1/4" or less over the barrel. This will give you a tight cheek weld and provide for more precise trajectory. Be sure to account for Butler Creek caps if you intend on using them.

If you are using a 40mm objective, then you can use the lowest rings and bases available, as the bell will certainly clear the barrel with no problem.

40mm or less - low rings all the time
50mm obj - low rings on < 5 contour
Medium rings > #5 and up (strait barrel get med high)
56mm obj Medium on < 5 contour (sometimes med high)
Medium high on sendero contour
High on >7 contour

34mm main tube...
50mm objective - lows will work all the time
56mm objective - lows < sendero or #5 contour Sometimes lows will fit number 7 contour barrels, but it depends on how long the shank is after the smith installed it.
Highs for sure anything larger than #7"

You can find the outside dimensions of the objective lens on the Nightforce website and the actual ring height on the manufacturer's website and thet it's just a little addition and subtraction after you have those dimensions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.