Ring height for VX-5HD 4-20x52

171farm

I recently purchase and am awaiting shipment of a Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52 scope to put on my dads Christensen Arm's Mesa 6.5 Creedmoor. I tried asking Christensen and Leupold and got generic recommendations on non Seekins products. I even called Seekins but haven't received a call back yet.

Anyway, we will be using a Seekins 20MOA scope base and would like to use Seekins 34mm rings. They come in the following heights:
  • low - .92"
  • high - 1.00"
  • x high - 1.26"
  • AR high - 1.40"
Any suggestions or thoughts?

The High should probably work but you might want to go with the XH just for a little margin of error. If you find you have the wrong one, most places will just exchange for you.

I'm looking at a VX6 HD 4-20x52. My rifle has a Murphy Precision 10moa base and a Proof Carbon Sendero lite barrel. It looks like a .90" ring (med Leupold Mark 4) will provide plenty of clearance.

Lows for sure. And the seekins rings and Vortex precision match rings are identical if you can't find the seekins in stock.

Barrel contour and scope mounting position (forward or rearward) will factor into how low you can go. With a criterion varmint I was able to mount an SHV 4-14x56 in seekins .82" low rings without 2-3 pieces of paper to spare. If I moved the scope back .5" it would contact the barrel.

You can math it out pretty well with the action diameter, rail height, barrel diameter where the scope bell will be, scope tube diameter, and outside diameter of the scope's bell. If your scope rail has cant built in, that impacts it too. Add in a little extra for margin of error and you're good to go.