Ring and base advice

vanepps123

Hey all, new to the forum. Asking for a little help, I have a Fierce fury chambered in 28 nosler. Putting on a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56, Just wondering what would be a good base and ring fit for this set up? Thanks for any advice.

I'm certainly not in the class if most shooters on this forum. But, I will ask what are your intentions for the rifle……paper, steel, hunting, or all of the above!

If hunting is involved, I recommend a quick release base/rings, I've used Leupold for almost 30 years, with great success. For hunting, I always want to have a back-up scope zero'd and ready for use! I'm very sure that my rifle subjects my base/rings to far more recoil than you will experience, and I've had no problems! JMO memtb

There are many good ways you can go. For the ultimate in adjustability, I put Pic rails on several of my rifles. Tally lightweight one-piece ring/bases are pretty common today.

And ... if you don't want to lap your new rings or take a chance of marking the new scope tube, a set of Burris Signature rings will solve both issues and more. I've got them on a few heavy recoiling rifles and they don't slip, if that's a concern.

MY intention is definitely for hunting, but Also would like to shoot paper out to 1000yrds at some point and time. I Actually purchased a set of ARC M-Braced rings, but come to find out the two piece picatinny rails on the gun must be weavers and won't fit. So I was wondering if I should Get a one piece Mail-Std 1913 rail and call it good? I definitely appreciate the feed back.

MY intention is definitely for hunting, but Also would like to shoot paper out to 1000yrds at some point and time. I Actually purchased a set of ARC M-Braced rings, but come to find out the two piece picatinny rails on the gun must be weavers and won't fit. So I was wondering if I should Get a one piece Mail-Std 1913 rail and call it good? I definitely appreciate the feed back.
Get the pic rail and be good to go. You all ready have $180 rings no need to buy more.

Last edited:
I am also looking to hunt and possibly target shoot out to 1000 yards with my new 6.8 Western. The X-bolt Long Range came with a 20 MOA pic rail, and the Talley direct mount rings also are available in 20 MOA configuration. I looked at my scope elevation range and 1/2 of the total value (assuming I can zero it at midpoint) would still get me past 1000 yards from ballistics charts I looked at; so I skipped the 20 MOA feature.

Since I already have the ARC rings, I think I will go with the Talley single rail and I was a little curious on the 20 MOA rail, I will have to research that part of it a little more.

Is there any disadvantage of going with 20 MOA rail, other then I am assuming it puts your overall scope height higher.
Not sure if I interpret your comment correctly, but it does not put your overall scope higher. It just angles it from parallel, which gives you more adjustment for dialing and not running out of travel for those loooong distances.

Hey all, new to the forum. Asking for a little help, I have a Fierce fury chambered in 28 nosler. Putting on a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56, Just wondering what would be a good base and ring fit for this set up? Thanks for any advice.
Well , here is another option call Talley scope rings ,give them your rifle and scope info and they can probably help you with two piece or one piece bases and a set of rings , and ship them to you.
I just did the same thing for a different rifle , and went for the 20 moa picatinny rail , the only thing that takes a little getting used to ( for me ) , is having the one piece extending over the action.
Here is the phone number 803-854-5700
66B034E6-F92C-4966-8D5E-99AB89098633.png