rimfire rifles and airguns

longrangecowboy

Is it unreasonable to expect .22 magnum to consistently shoot well? I have tried every different variation I could think of and Point of impact still wanders. Same table and same conditions, 22-250 is a tack driver. Does the .22 and .17 all need the heavy barrels to be accurate?

morning, i have a ruger 77/22 magnum bolt gun. i had a problem with finding

accurate ammo for the rifle. rem came forward with the 40gr. green tip. ammo

in this rifle cal. at 50yrds i can see the paper on the target jump out of the

hole. this by far in this rifle the most accurate ammo i have found

for a 22 magnum. squirrels say there prayers. these bullets r devastating

and accurate! i have a 4x12 redfield 5 star scope on the setup.

Thank You Much TUM

just country life member NRA-TSRAlightbulb

Last edited:
I have and shoot both the 22 mag and the 17 HMR. For what ever reason the 22 mags I have owned have never done better with any consistency than about 1 MOA. @ 100 yards. The 17 HMRs
have consistently shot 1/2 MOA.

I have custom barrels on all of them, so it appears that the ammo is just better for the 17 HMR.

I like the heaver bullets of the 22 mag but I like the accuracy of the 17 HMR. So normally I recommend re barreling the 22 mag to a 17 HMR and use a custom barrel. This will normally increase the accuracy by 100 % and it is an easy change because the 17 HMR fits everything including the magazine.

Right now the ammo is scarce for the 22 mag but very available for the 17 HMR.

Wind will be a factor with the 17 or 20 grain bullet but for 50 to 100 yards it is uncanny how accurate the little 17s are.

J E CUSTOM

JE, have you by chance played with any of the 17 WSM's ????

I've got a Savage Bmag HB SS that shoots quite well but it certainly took some work to get there.

I have and shoot both the 22 mag and the 17 HMR. For what ever reason the 22 mags I have owned have never done better with any consistency than about 1 MOA. @ 100 yards. The 17 HMRs
have consistently shot 1/2 MOA.

I have custom barrels on all of them, so it appears that the ammo is just better for the 17 HMR.

I like the heaver bullets of the 22 mag but I like the accuracy of the 17 HMR. So normally I recommend re barreling the 22 mag to a 17 HMR and use a custom barrel. This will normally increase the accuracy by 100 % and it is an easy change because the 17 HMR fits everything including the magazine.

Right now the ammo is scarce for the 22 mag but very available for the 17 HMR.

Wind will be a factor with the 17 or 20 grain bullet but for 50 to 100 yards it is uncanny how accurate the little 17s are.

J E CUSTOM

Normally I don't discuss 17's but I have one as well. Wicked on wood hogs out to 125 yards and dead accurate. I can always tell a solid hit, the tail go's straight up and it falls over.

Not bad on coons either.

JE, have you by chance played with any of the 17 WSM's ????

I've got a Savage Bmag HB SS that shoots quite well but it certainly took some work to get there.

NO. the smallest WSSM I have is the 223 WSSM. It is a screamer at over 4500 ft/sec.

I have also not built a 17 Hornet (But would like to)

To date, the most fun and accurate rim fire has been the 17 HMR. The biggest thing I have killed with it was a 200+ pound hog. (it was all I had with me at the time) and after an eye shot at 91
yards, the rodeo was on.

My son likes The 17 Mach 2 for varmints (A 22 long rifle necked down to 17 cal).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.