Rimfire help!

Azshios84

So I'm looking to get a rimfire for training for long range shooting. A few that have caught my eye and just wondering on opinions, ideas, and help for these.

-Savage 93r17 TR or TRR-SR in .17 HMR
-Savage Mark II TR or TRR-SR in .22 LR
-CZ 455 Varmint in .17 HMR
-Marlin XT-22 VR in .22 LR
-Marlin XT-17 VR in .17 HMR
-Marlin XT-17 VSFL in .17 HMR

I've heard good and bad for the 455's trigger and that was one major factor in this. I've looked at after market triggers and they're pricey and seem to be on back order on just about ever site I've managed to find. The upside is if I do go with the CZ the interchangeable barrels later down the line. Plus Lilja is now making drop in barrels for the 455, so that was a huge upside. Another downside, is possibly getting a CZ to a FFL dealer around me, our guys seem to be picky.
I'm just looking for out of the box accuracy and all around plinker. They're all within the general price range of each other.

I'd get a Ruger 10-22 carbine with a snot stock and can the OEM trigger and install a Volkquartsen trigger, firing pin, extractor and Buffer Technologies recoil buffer. Up top, hang a Leupy Rifleman VX3 and don't look back.

Mine is a tack driver with any factory round, cheap to shoot and devistating on small game. I tend to run Agulia Hyper Velocity.

All the accuracy with no flinch inducing recoil. Just the ticket to develop outstanding long range manners.... (and dropping a pile of squirrels, chucks or rabbits).........

Not bad on the neighbors cat either...............................:)

I had a 10/22 a while back and I wasnt impressed. Sure it was the standard model, but constant FTE's and FTL's. Every 2-5 rounds constant, even with meticulous cleaning. I don't want to have to upgrade it. I just want something that'll be good straight out of the box. Plus, I'm leaning more towards a bolt action setup.

I have a CZ 453 varmint, and I love it. I like the trigger right out of the box, and it has the set trigger also. There are a number of aftermarket stocks out there for them now, too. All that being said...if I could hunt with a semi in PA I'd have a 10/22!

Im leaning more towards the CZ 455 in .17 HMR right now, but does anyone know if the Boyds Tacticool stock will fit the 455. It says the 452 fits, but doesnt say anything about the 455 in .17 HMR. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with that. Just for later down the road, not a huge factor now, but maybe in the future.

Myself, my son n law, and about a half dozen buddies have the Savage Mark II TR's and BVSS 22LR rifles. They have typically demonstrated accuracy in the 1/2"-1" range on average with match grade ammo at 100 yards. Sometimes you have to try a couple of different brands of ammo to get that accuracy. The balance, weight, barrels, stock design, and trigger are nicely suited for practice without giving a substantially different feel when switching to a heavier centerfire. For long range practice, I mounted a 6x20 VX 3 ER Leupold with turrets/ ballistic chart that simulates long range shots on red squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, and winged pests at ranges from 25-100 yards. It's great practice since ranging, wind, and shooting skills, are as critical for one shot kills as when hunting game with center fires. It's very cost effective, and great practice year round to keep the skills sharp.

CZ 455 with good glass on top. Had a Savager 93r17fv in 17hmr... sold it and upgraded to the 455. They were putting up identical groups at first, then the CZ barrel finally broke in and it pulled way ahead. Plus the action just feels much better in general. Just my 2cents

Im leaning more towards the CZ 455 in .17 HMR right now, but does anyone know if the Boyds Tacticool stock will fit the 455. It says the 452 fits, but doesnt say anything about the 455 in .17 HMR. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with that. Just for later down the road, not a huge factor now, but maybe in the future.
The actions are different, but Boyds has(or at least will have) the Tacticool stock soon for the 455. Check out the Evolultion for the 455, it's a bit different than the Tac. but it's not too bad for bench work etc.

I have several 22lr guns. Marlins are supper accurate but the trigger takes some getting used to. For the money there very good. I haven't shot a savage but have herd very good things about them, there reasonably priced too. The most accurate 22lr I own or have ever shot for that matter is a Remington 513t. It's also built better then most of the new guns and if you shop around you can pick one up at a reasonable price. The only problem is it's very hard to find parts for them and most aren't drilled and tapped for a scope. The peep sight is really fun though, can shoot a really nice group at 50yd. I have a CZ chambered in 22-250 and love it, but there 22lr seem a little steep on the price side of things.

I have a 10/22, and all I've done is change the sear to lighten the pull. It does fairly well. I also have a XT-22VR that I just recently got 3 weeks ago. It's been great so far. I put a Bushnell e3940sf (side focus) limited editions on it. It was $200 less the $75 rebate = heck of a deal IMO. I haven't been able to really give it a true workout yet. The other night after I got done helping some scouts I shot prone at the indoor rim-fire at our club as it was already dark. The 5-shot groups were all easily covered w/ a dime and many were 3/8". This is a 15 yd range and I don't have the trigger all the way down as I don't want it super light if I'm training a youth with it. Also, before the kids showed up I was able to shoot a 8" gong at 100 yards with monotonous regularity. I was pleased. I believe ~200yrd shots will be fairly doable with this rig.

Hope my post isn't too late to help.

IMO for all the downplaying of the venrable 10-22 Ruger, one, it's made here (Prescott, Arizona), two, the basic rifle comes in many variations, all for a very reasonable price and three, with not too much fiddling and some money invested you wind up with an excellent rimfire.

The money invested in th rifle is still less than buying one of the others and the 10-22 is made here and thats important to me.

Besides, thre is so much aftermarket stuff for a 10-22, it boggles the mind. I'm a Volquartsen Machine person but really, the variety is endless.

I hope no one feels I'm bagging on the 10/22. It's a great outfit and has a place in my shooting world. I'm not a fan of buying one and then putting another $200 in it just to make it accurate, or worse make it "cool".

For long range work, generally speaking, bolt actions will be more accurate. I got my XT-22 for ~$30 less than any 10/22, and it looks to be accurate enough w/out any additions.

In the end, they're both good rifles, but both lend better to different applications IMO.

Some of the 'cool' stuff makes me want to barf. Why would any person with any shred of sanity want to make a 10-22 look like an assualt rifle? I don't get that at all, but then I'm not a fan of that type of rifle anyway.

My 'assualts' consist of 4 legged fur bearing animals for the freezer and the wall.

I have several 22lr guns. Marlins are supper accurate but the trigger takes some getting used to. For the money there very good. I haven't shot a savage but have herd very good things about them, there reasonably priced too. The most accurate 22lr I own or have ever shot for that matter is a Remington 513t. It's also built better then most of the new guns and if you shop around you can pick one up at a reasonable price. The only problem is it's very hard to find parts for them and most aren't drilled and tapped for a scope. The peep sight is really fun though, can shoot a really nice group at 50yd. I have a CZ chambered in 22-250 and love it, but there 22lr seem a little steep on the price side of things.

love to find a nice mint 513T! Best thing out there is a good condition Winchester mod. 52, but you can do a lot of good things with a Remington 541s. They light weight barrels seem to shoot better in the Remingtons (why?). Been working off and on with a two screw 541T heavy barreled gun, but it won't shoot like my sporter weight 541 will not matter how much I try. My 541 will shoot .83" five shot groups at 100 yards on a windless day, but the heavy barreled gun is about a half inch bigger groups. I know part of the problem is the way the barrel attaches to the reciever, and know there is a way to fix this. Might also keep an eye out for an H&R 5200, which is really a Winchester Mod. 52.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.