Rig ready/Thank You

ATH

I've finally pretty much finished load development for my rig, and I wanted to thank all here who influenced/gave advice on the components as they came together. I don't remember specific names, but I'm sure you know who you are:

Caliber choice - 300 WM (general advice here and from friends)
Gun - Remington 700 Sendero SFII (advice here and from friends, research)
Base/rings - Burris Signature rings and 1-piece base (advice here); used inserts to gain MOA
Scope - Nikon Tactical 4-16X50 (advice here, SnipersHide, and reviews; obtained through SnipersHide)
Trigger - self-adjusted to 3-3.5lbs with SnipersHide advice (will eventually get a professional replacement to get to 2.5lbs)
Brass - Winchester (advice here)
Bullets - Hunting= 200gr Accubond (advice here); target= 200gr SMK (advice here)
Powder - Re22 (advice here and on SnipersHide)

The gun shot sub-MOA with cheap Remington factory ammo out to 800 yds but I got set up to reload:
RockChucker press (advice here)
Dies - went with Lee and worked ok but just blew the top out of the neck-sizing collet die after only about 100 rds...weird.

I already posted the ladder test; the loads shot from that indicated 73.2gr for the 200gr SMK but only 72.9 for the Accubond. Less wind today so I tested both at 73.2gr and the SMK at 74.0 gr as I'd already loaded them but not tested them yet:

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=414839&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

and

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=414841&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

It was HOT (85-90) so I blew a few groups before getting patient and waiting 5min between shots...that worked. Given that I'm not the best off a bench I was very pleased No pressure signs with 74gr but I'm not going higher...chrony is going to be borrowed in a few weeks. I want to test the Accubonds at 74gr, but the SMKs look ready to go.

Not bad for a factory gun....a better trigger would tighten them a bit I'm sure. Maybe I'll replace it next year.

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out sharing info either by answering my questions or just passively through my long-time lurking.

I hav an old Remington VS that I adjusted the trigger on, based on an article my uncle sent me from precision reloading or VH and I was easily able to adjust is down to less than 1#. I would give it another try if you want it lighter. 2#s is good for hunting espically if you arent used to light triggers. How well does it group. You cant go wrong with a sendero sf.

It groups well and I'm sure it would do better with a lighter trigger (I'm used to very light ones from my smallbore competition days). But it's a hunting gun so I can't go that light.

I already adjusted it myself but I'm conservative so I didn't go too light as I don't have a gauge and didn't rig an improvised system as I just wanted to get it shooting that day.

Cut and paste the URLs from my previous post into your browser for groups...still don't know why it didn't work linking them in this time.

414839.JPG

414841.JPG

Rather than trying to use the code from 101 just paste the link into the image button where it says instant ubb code.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.