Riflescope Narrowed down to three - PLEASE HELP!

Lobsterbake

Hello,

New member, first post!! I have a new Thompson Center Icon in 308 with weaver style bases. The rifle 90% of the time will be used for target shooting (200 -300 yds mostly but option for up to 500yds) and the other 10% for wild boar hunting. I have been researching scopes for months and have it narrowed down to:

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45mm (XT Duplex reticle)

Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope (duplex reticle)

Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 T* (#8 reticle)

Based on what I am using the rifle for what would you recommend? I really like the Victory Diavari but it has 1/3 moa adjustments and an adjustment range of 44 vs 1/4 moa and an adjustment range of at least 72 on the Leupolds. Is that a problem? I dont want to run out of windage/elevation adjustments. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Anyone who has a Victory - are they hard to mount and how is the eye relief?gun)

I am going to buy one good scope and if I get another rifle I will move it to the new one. I am not going to buy another scope.

Thanks!

Mark

Yea, I said that too... "I'll have one good scope"

I know own 5 Lepuold VX-L 6.5X20X56 and one NightForce 10X42X56....

along with 5 or 6 "cheap" scopes....

IMHO the Leupold is the best scope of the under $1000 range scopes.

GET THE TALL TARGET TORRENTS! If you don't, you'll have a lot more trouble dialing up and down. Also once you get your tried and true load developed, you can get a custom dial from Leupold for 63 bucks. You dial the yardage, not count clicks. Zeroed for 200, my custom target torrents will allow me to dial to 800 yards on my 308

Oh, and my nightforce, is clearer than my step sons $1200 spotting scope.
That is one awesome scope. But I can't put one of those expensive suckers on all my rifles.

Good luck,
Robbin

Lobsterbake,
Welcome to LRH. Great place to feed an addiction! Anyway, based on the criteria that you listed, I would go with the Leupold Mark 4. You will have no problem dialing to 500yds with the Weaver base and standard (0 MOA) Weaver type rings.
According to the specs on that scope you have 65 MOA of adjustment for elevation and 65 for windage. That will easily take you to 500yds +. Good luck. JohnnyK.

The Leupold Mark 4 is an awesome scope but if you have that much to spend I would go with a nightforce.

Hello,

New member, first post!! I have a new Thompson Center Icon in 308 with weaver style bases. The rifle 90% of the time will be used for target shooting (200 -300 yds mostly but option for up to 500yds) and the other 10% for wild boar hunting. I have been researching scopes for months and have it narrowed down to:

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45mm (XT Duplex reticle)

Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope (duplex reticle)

Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 T* (#8 reticle)

Based on what I am using the rifle for what would you recommend? I really like the Victory Diavari but it has 1/3 moa adjustments and an adjustment range of 44 vs 1/4 moa and an adjustment range of at least 72 on the Leupolds. Is that a problem? I dont want to run out of windage/elevation adjustments. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Anyone who has a Victory - are they hard to mount and how is the eye relief?gun)

I am going to buy one good scope and if I get another rifle I will move it to the new one. I am not going to buy another scope.

Thanks!

Mark

Welcome, Mark.

NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50mm or NF NXS 5.5-22 x 50 or 56mm.

Good luck,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.