Riflescope eye relief

newmexkid

Based on your knowledge which riflescope do you feel has the best eye relief in the power range of 16x or 20x? Either 1" or 30MM tube. I would like to keep the price around $500-$800. Uhhh...Obviously I'm looking for a scope that maxes out at either 16x or 20x.

Based on your knowledge which riflescope do you feel has the best eye relief in the power range of 16x or 20x? Either 1" or 30MM tube. I would like to keep the price around $500-$800. Uhhh...Obviously I'm looking for a scope that maxes out at either 16x or 20x.

The Elcan Digital Hunter (and Digital hunter Day/Night) have the longest eye relief of any rifle scope I've used.. Elcan only specs it as >60mm, but since it's just a magnifier in front of a small LCD display it's eye relief in not limited as it its in a normal optical rifle scope. It also has a HUGE exit pupil and no parallax caused by an offset eye position. Most night vision scopes have similar long eye relief, but they don't meet your 16x criteria. The Elcan DH and DHDN goes 2.5x to 16.5x.

Of the conventional scopes I own I'm impressed by the eye relief of my Leupold Mk 4 16x40. It's 4". Do you need over 4" of eye relief? I have less than that on my Pauza P50 semi-auto 50 BMG carbine. The trick is allowing your body and head to move with the rifle under recoil

The Elcan Digital Hunter (and Digital hunter Day/Night) have the longest eye relief of any rifle scope I've used.. Elcan only specs it as >60mm, but since it's just a magnifier in front of a small LCD display it's eye relief in not limited as it its in a normal optical rifle scope. It also has a HUGE exit pupil and no parallax caused by an offset eye position. Most night vision scopes have similar long eye relief, but they don't meet your 16x criteria. The Elcan DH and DHDN goes 2.5x to 16.5x.

Please share where I can get them for under $800 per OP? I'd loved to have them. Thanks!

Please share where I can get them for under $800 per OP? I'd loved to have them. Thanks!

You can probably find one used cheaper than that from someone who discovered that their expensive hunt was cut short by the Elcan's battery life. I don't consider them a practical hunting tool. They may have some uses for training as they have the ability to generate a real time video display and record shots automatically during actual shooting. They're no easier to set the elevation and windage than conventional target knobs.

The basic concept is that its an ~5 megapixel CCD which covers the field of view of well over a degree. The LCD just displays a portion of the CCD image with a software reticle overlayed. Elevation and windage and zoom are just a maniuplation of what portion of the CCD is mapped onto the video display. That function has no moving parts. The objective and eyepiece focus are manual like normal scopes. The display is 640x480 color pixels (VGA resolution).

It can be programmed for ballistic drop of any bullet but that's not very useful as it has has no rangefinder, wind speed, inclination, cant, , or air density sensors. The internal computer does not do ballistic calculations. The day/night version has dual color and infrared sensitivity (600-1000nm) but requires an IR illuminator (LED, Laser, or filtered HID). Starlight or moonlight alone aren't sufficient illumination.

Anyway, save your money unless you want to make video clips of your shots. For that it works well.

Back to the OP's question. There's just not much market for a 4" eye relief 16x scope. Here's one. Got to love the Chinese for being able to make it for 1/16 the cost of a Leupold Mk4 16x40 which doesn't even have the zoom feature.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_32258_-1?N=329212188+4294965663

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts