Rifles we wish we've never sold, and WHY!

What an interesting thread to read everyone's stories! As someone noted earlier, some common themes running through it. Some of these have been painful memories beyond the loss of the rifle. I am sorry for those and hope for time's healing. It is evident though that our guns bring us much joy by virtue of what we can do with them (shoot them accurately, share a hunting camp with family/friends), and some by the beauty of their crafted wood and steel. Noting how many of us regret the sales, trades, and losses; it will be interesting to see if there's a dip in the classifieds over the next few weeks!

Steyr SSG69. Dang it. Do regret trading that one. Dual purpose rifle - great for hunting or range time. One-holer for the most part at 100 yards.

My problem - too willing to trade in something I have now for something I want next. I think this is a common problem in our community.

Got a new very similar Steyr rifle on a one year layaway! Steyr Pro THB. Half way done with the payments. Would have been simpler to have stuck with the first one. Dang it.

God bless. Happy Hunting.

let me just say i have never sold a gun and regretted it but being only 21 there has been much time. the first center fire rifle i ever shot was bench rest rifle built on a 1924 Mauser action with a timney trigger 1.25" 28in barrel chambered in 257 Roberts i was thinking of selling it to build remage in 257 roberts. but now with reading all the posts i'll keep that old bench gun and put a new barrel on down the road.

Remington 700 280 Remington! sold it and bought a 35 whelen.
Never shoot a 280 but they are fine rifles and I am shore you miss it. But on a good note you replaced it with a very fine cartridge. The 35 Whelen is a very versatile and under rated cartridge, shoots a lot flatter and farther than most people thinks too.

Oh, so many... The reality of living life from one paycheck to the next. Starting with my 1413 Anschutz that I ordered directly from Germany when I was a teenage competition small bore shooter. It went to get married and is probably in better shape today than the wife of 50 years :(. Next a nail driven Browning B78 26-06. Shot too many deer to count, but thought I needed something with a magazine and better safety. Never needed a second shot anyway. Biggest loss came at the hands of my dad. He was a great man, but a sucker for fast talking shysters. Came home from college one weekend to learn that he traded all the old lever action guns for a Remington Model 600 in 350 Rem Mag. Gone were a Win Mod 1892 25-20 that he bought as a teenager, hunted for a lifetime and was my first hunting rifle; a Win Mod 1895 45-90 used in the historic Johnson County War; my second hunting rifle a Savage Mod 99F in 300 Savage; last but not least, a Savage Mod 99 takedown model in 22 highpower. My sister still has the *** Rem 600:(.
Ouch! This one gave me goose bumps.

Good stories guys! I have never regretted selling a rifle. Now I kind of regret selling 5-6 pistols, but even if I still had them, they would sitting in a safe and never used. I just don't really have anyone to pass my collection on to when I croak. So I keep my totals under 20 firearms.
I am up for adoption! I'm a little old and ugly, but I would make a great son. Just don't talk to my Dad first, he tells tales.

My 30-06 with a beautiful BDL stock. Sold it to my brother. He trashed the stock on day 1. Put it back into a plastic Remmy stock and it still puts rounds at 200 touching with Barnes 168 TTSX. Go figure. Now, he's retired from hunting and it's in my safe. Keeping it as he has indicated in his will. So, after 10 years it came back for free....

Good stories guys! I have never regretted selling a rifle. Now I kind of regret selling 5-6 pistols, but even if I still had them, they would sitting in a safe and never used. I just don't really have anyone to pass my collection on to when I croak. So I keep my totals under 20 firearms.
If your looking for some one to pass your firearms on too, I am hear for you :) Until then I hope you have many more years of enjoying them :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.