Rifles we wish we've never sold, and WHY!

2 Tikka Sporters, one 223 the other in 308
1 Colt HBAR Accurized Elite
1 Blaser R93 in 308
2 Colt Anacondas, one 8" the other 4"
1 Colt Python, Royal blue 6"
1 H&K P7 squeeze cocker.
**** I'm dumb!!! I hope you guys that are kicking yourselves feel better...😔

Yes, guilty! One of my first rifles was a .22 bolt-action single-shot Wards. Nothing fancy, nothing special. I just really liked it and it shot great. After racking up a few years and getting married for whatever stupid reason, I decided to sell it for nearly nothing. I missed it and lamented over that rifle for many, many years. About four years ago I was in a local pawn shop and lo and behold there it was up on the wall! I knew it immediately and told the owner, "That's my rifle!" I bought it immediately and brought it home. After removing the butt plate, where most have a recoil pad, there was the proof that it used to be my rifle many years before. Oh I lost a few bucks in the deal but it was certainly worth it to get that sweet little rifle back. I hope some others who are sharing their tale have a happy ending too.
I can relate to that story, many years ago, I had a bdl, 280, or better put, 7mm Express.
That thing shot lites out. Then, along came the first 7STW, that I owned. I was smitten over that rifle, And traded the 280, (7mm Express), towards it.
Well, the gun dealer took it to a gun show, and sold it. Years later, in unbeknownst to me, he bought it back at another gunshow, and it became his wife's rifle. Well, apparently, shedidnt like the recoil, and put it on the racks, for sale. Well, I frequented that shop quite a bit, and was in one day, and spotted it. I told the owner's wife, that was my rifle. She said no, it can't be, shebought it from a gunshow, shot it two years, and decided to sell it. Well, I had hand bedded it, and left tooling marks, just ahead of the recoil lug. She took it apart, and sure enough, there were the pre mentioned marks. We all looked st each other, in total astonishment, and I bought it back. This was more then ten years after I sold it.
I kept it for about 6 years, and you guessed it, a ugly divorce, left me near broke, and I had to sell it to buy fuel oil.
That rifle was a sweetheart! It was the start for my love affair with anything 7mm.☹

Last edited:
Winchester .30-30 my dad gave me. A friend of his had french-greyed the receiver and nickel-plated the barrel band. Really pretty gun. A deer jumped into my driver's side door (he hit me, lol!) and the body shop was going to charge a fortune on my insurance. I was a young newly-ed (aka "broke"), so I asked about a cash price and he said he'd trade the work for a deer rifle for his dad. We made the trade and I've regretted it ever since.

Never sold a long gun, that's why I had to add a second gun safe...I did trade a colt python with 6" bbl and Smith 29 in 4" bbl back in 1976 to buy my wife a .257 Wby Mag she wanted...the gun dealer made it a straight up trade, no money exchanged hands. Nowadays, I would really like to have that Python in my collection and that one alone could be traded/sold for just anything on the market but a custom build.

That I regret? Nothing. I used to sell guns that wouldn't beat MOA at whatever range I wanted out of them. Now if I like the rifle enough to buy it and it won't shoot well, I work over the action and pop on a krieger. That solves all issues ive found

maybe i havent been at this long enough, but i've never sold any of my guns. i gave my brother an AR15 that i built, but there was nothing special about it and he didnt have one. i also gave him my first pistol, a fullsize EAA witness P in 9mm. again, nothing special about it and he didnt have one. i've got a number of high dollar guns that i have no plans to sell but would if it was an emergency.

I had a Remington Model 700 BDL with a Bull Barrel in 22-250 that would shoot 10 shots into a dime at 100 yards. I sold it to buy a 22-250 Kimber Varminter, it had to be a better rifle because it was a Kimber and significantly more expensive. What a mistake.

A pair of ruger no 1V's, one a 6mm rem the other a 22-250. Both held 3/4-1 moa as far as I had any business shooting them. And a 77/22 hornet that was hands down the coolest little truck gun I ever hauled around. Bunch of groundhogs fell to those 3.

OH YES (now Oh NOOO) .. Back in 74 got talked into selling my Antique Marlin 1894 CL (32-20) 1/2 Octagonal Barrel that was given to me by my Grandfather .. a Marlin Collector talked me out of it and wouldn't discuss the matter 15 minutes later when I reconsidered my sale …
AND a few years later sold a Habicht 20 gauge SXS that was perfect to mount, never missed a Ruffy, and I just had to have a 12 O/U … only to find out that it was actually an AYA worth 50 times what I sold it for … arrghhh
I mourn the loss of those 2 …

700 Remington garment special in .223. Shot that gun for prairie dogs for years. Wore out 4 barrels. I would seat the bullets .030 off the rifling. When I started looking bullets out of the cases on the trip out hunting I would replace the barrel.

One day I was at the range for a work day. It was the weekend before deer season and we would have a open weekend to help people sight in their guns. Had a slow time so I dragged out the old 700 and shot a couple of 5 shot groups. The guy I was working with looked at those groups and offered me a lot of money for it.

I told him it needed a new barrel because the current one was shot out, but he had to have it and wouldn't take no for an answer. So I let it go. Next day the local gunship owner was giving me a hard time because the guy had been in bitching about the wore out gun I had sold him . I offered to buy it back but he wouldn't sell it to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.