Rifles to avoid?

Most likely my doings. To me, the base rifle you bring home from the gun store is where you start in making it a better tool for your intended purposes. ARs are like LEGO blocks for grown-up boys: The possibilities are bordering on endless...

Why have something more plain than vanilla when with a few bucks, some simple tools and a bit of time can make your plain jane really stand out as well as give to you a feeing of satisfaction that your rifle is not exactly like the one four benches down the firing line? The popularity of the platform will make it forever the choice of shooters who want a rifle that's easy to develop loads for it, offer a truckload of modification parts and irritate liberals who want greater government control and far less Individual Liberty...
Gotta start somewhere

Wanting to get an AR15. I don't have much experience with one and my question is. What rifle manufactures should I avoid? The gun will be mostly for target out to 300yds, maybe some hunting. I don't want to throw a ton of money into one until I get some advice. Thanks
Stay away from Anderson.

My dmps upper and lower with a 260 rem jp barrel and mag pull stock shoots. 3/8 ,,inch at 100 and less than an inch at 200 yards with lapua 155 grain mega tip bullets .It has never jammed or misfired. IT Is funny I have only used necked down mixed 308 brass in this rifle .If you have a matched upper and lower and good gas system they work very good .If you want a better rifle buy a ptr 91 they are totally dependable

Hi fellas I'm a fang I have a lr g2 308 dpms I love it 500 in the pipe fit and finish is good to me but like I said I'm new got to get a better scope but this is 100yds
20191103_115709.jpg
20191003_144104.jpg

I'm sure you've done your research else where on the internet. If not, they have forums dedicated specifically to AR's.
I've got a colt le6920 but they don't make those anymore.

If you're looking for a complete rifle, there are lots of options ranging from cheaper to custom made.
AeroPrecision, FN, Sig, and LMT are good and affordable, maybe LMT a little less so. I've put my hands on several Aero and FN's and can't complain about them.
Daniel Defense, Radian, VLTOR, Knights Armament, LWRC are your gucci guns.
If you're looking to build, you can always check out Brownells, they have everything related to building AR's that you could ever possibly want.
Hope you find your gun!

I'm sure you've done your research else where on the internet. If not, they have forums dedicated specifically to AR's.
I've got a colt le6920 but they don't make those anymore.

If you're looking for a complete rifle, there are lots of options ranging from cheaper to custom made.
AeroPrecision, FN, Sig, and LMT are good and affordable, maybe LMT a little less so. I've put my hands on several Aero and FN's and can't complain about them.
Daniel Defense, Radian, VLTOR, Knights Armament, LWRC are your gucci guns.
If you're looking to build, you can always check out Brownells, they have everything related to building AR's that you could ever possibly want.
Hope you find your gun!

Me too, especially after 6 years.

Last edited:
I have owned an Armalite AR10-T it was a MOA cape able rifle that used the modified M14 mags. It was a good rifle for what it was but not my cup of tea... it was a little front end heavy "20" match grade barrel..
you have to pay attention to whatever you get, there are a lot of proprietary parts that don't work with other ar10 weapon systems... I would recommend you get a factory built rifle.. there is a balance between, gas systems, bolt/carrier mass, buffer and buffer springs to get a AR10 to function correctly...
I have looked into gettin a LMT but have not had the luck of finding one to actually hold at a gun store...
Good luck with whatever you get...

Not military trained but got my first AR 30 years ago(Colt 20" H bar competition match) moa accuracy & been a very reliable unit...if I do my part. At that time a buddy got a Colt Elite, more$ but worth every dime! Best shooting/handling ar I've ever used!
Traded the hbar to a buddy who just had to have it and I wanted what he had at the time. He ended up not likeing it as much as he thought mainly because it will not thow a 40 grainer and I missed it . To get it back I traded him a newly aquired Rock river ar that shot the 40s great. Looking back I should have cashed the hbar back!
Picked up a polymer lower and put together a cheap light ar batard that actually outshoots the old hbar and the new high dallar lwcr.
My hunting partner bought an M&P sport a couple years ago that has been a great buy as it has been very reliable and very accurate!
Long way around the barn to an old post but even if you get a *** it can be remodeled to suit your needs....kind of hard to go wrong wit a Colt, Rock River or an M&P.

t was AR15-E1 that wasn't chrome lined and first use by the Army. It had jamming problems. The spec were to close, and as it heated up it would jam. It's the 3 finger mussel flash or brake. I noted somewhere a statement the AR15-A1 was the one with the problems. I can see he was never in Vietnam.

First, thanks for your service. I definitely was not in Vietnam. What I heard, from a few vets, and mostly read, was that non chrome barrel on early M16 rifles caused some problems; but also that the powder the DOD procured tended to cause fouling and jamming when used in a direct impingement selective fire gun. As to E1 vs. A1 designation, I definitely did not realize there were two distinct models. I thought the Colt model 603 was basically the gun that got adopted by Army and Marines, that became the M16A1. I also thought they added a forward assist at some point to make the A1, although Eugene Stoner did not like the idea of it, believing the better practice was to rack the charging handle to deal with any failure to chamber. Interestingly, though, in photos from Ia Drang battle where 1st Air Cav used the M16 extensively, it looks as if the version t they carried already had a forward assist, though that detail is kind of hard to see. And the Ia Drang battle was definitely late 1965.

Since this is an old thread, I'll add this: the Colt LE 6940 I wound up buying has been a keeper. I try to keep it clean and on the wet side as to lube. It reliably feeds any FMJ I've put in it. Maybe a couple thousand rounds in, it is definitely not jam-prone. I use the Mag-pul 30 round clips, and they feed quite reliably.

My first M-16 in basic was made by "Harvester" tractors and implements..
A re-armored tool. 25 meter sight in was ragged holes... ARF range was 50 / 50 every time. I loved that faded thing. Another re-armored rifle. "Hydromatic" was my issue in my unit. I worked every time... a2s came in for the last of the unit. Armore ask for my rifle, if its all the same to you, You can keep the a2s for new people an left handers need them more. 91 I took that 16, a m60, an 45 as side arm to war in Iraq-> Kuwait, Saudi-Arabia. Had assistant for 60, lugged extra barrel, mits, tripod, an ammo. his 16 an 45. All of those are worth keeping!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.