rifles of the same cartridges

ARlife4me

Take example of 300wm whether being production rifles or custom builds (you or someone else built) of the same manufacturer, same barrel length, same twist rate..............well just call them duplicates/identical twins. Has anyone been able to use the exact same load in both with the exact same results (accuracy and speed with the same charge and bullet weight of the same manufacturer)? I'm thinking that trying to get the chambers being headspaced and throated the exact same is needed, but each gun having a mind of its own situation problem as guns do? Where too start? Fire both guns and take case measurements of both fired cases of both guns and compare. If the brass dimensions are different (most likely are) can you adjust headspace by_________________(fill in the blank(s)) to obtain needed measurement? Or do you need to adjust the chamber somehow (not sure what 1 could do and or how if possible). The previous sentence seams idiotic! Probably a good start would be by having/using the same reamer (whether you or another person does) with hopefully the same finish. I'm sure that I'm missing something in the process and any help would be appreciated! This is for learning before I try a would-be step.

I've had twins in 6.5 saum built that shot the same load with essentially the same accuracy and speeds within 25 fps of each other.

My dad and brother shot the same exact 30-06 load for years out of 2 different makes of rifles. Both shot very similar and speeds were within 40 fps IIRC.

I have two that are same model, but different, shoot same load with same accuracy. Not sure about speed. Bothe Weatherby 300 WBY, Japanese Mark V and around 2008? US made Mark V. Both shoot 200 grain Nosler PT and AB with same charge of RL22, Fed 215, same accuracy. Japanese is 24", "pencil" barrel, with factory brake, US is 26" fluted barrel with aftemarket brake. Took both to Africa, 7 annimal kills with each.

I should ad that this is the same load my friends shoots in his Mark V with similar results.

Last edited:
I have four .22-.250's & each one has the same make barrel, same twist but uses its own load. This is because differences in throat erosion amount & chambering for COAL. Each rifle shares the same components, like powder, primer, bullet, & brass. They all shoot within 1/2 inch at 100. One Remington & 3 Ruger M77 MKII's.