• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Rifles Inc.- Apex Rifle Co. Ultralight 7mm Rem Mag – Ultimate Mtn Rifle

Ramblin99

This custom rifle was built on an C-series Rem 700 LA receiver. I can't be certain it was originally built by Lex at Rifles Inc. but the machine work on the receiver is identical to my other Rifles Inc. Strata. The 7mm Remington Magnum barrel markings are Apex Rifle Company. ARC was originally started by Sam May in the 90's and became one of the premier ultralight barrel suppliers in the U.S. Sam's barrels were cut rifled, available in custom twist rates and even gain twist. Before Sam passed away he brought in Steve Webb who learned the craft from Sam and kept the company open until at least 2010. It's possible that the rifle was originally barreled with the Apex barrel, or re-barreled at some point.

I purchased the rifle, disassembled it and sent it to Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works to have it inletted for BDL bottom metal that I supplied. The mountaineer-style stock weighed an amazing 15.2 ounces! Rick did some rework in the original inletting to drop the action in the stock by about 1/8" to get a perfect configuration in which the barrel is 50% in the stock and 50% above the stock. You'll see in the photos the Apex and caliber markings are slightly lower then normal. Of course, it was bedded and free-floated by Rick. He also installed a new Decelerator butt pad, and Cerakoted the bottom metal. Then I recently had the stock custom painted in woodland camo with black webbing and covered in flat clear.

The rifle as pictured with my Swaro Z8i 2.3-18x56mm scope and Talley lightweights weighs only 7 lbs. 5.6 ounces. That will be about 5 lbs. 9 ounces bare. Overall length is 44". LOP is 13.5". The barrel is 22-3/4" overall with integral brake, and 21-1/2" from recoil lug to beginning of the brake. I do not know the twist rate. The bolt shroud has been modified/upgraded as you can see in the photos. The bolt shaft is fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized. The rebuilt Walker trigger pulls at 2.0 lbs. average of 5 pulls and has no creep. The trigger was built by Andy O. who is cahunter805 here on LRH and 805 on 24HCF. Andy does a great job on those Walker triggers. The receiver and barrel are also Cerakoted black, and it has a few wear marks. Nothing major, just the usually marks from hunting.

The rifle shoots sub MOA with 139gr SST ammo loaded by Reeds Custom Ammo. Other than some Fusions for sighting in, that's all I have fired in the rifle. When I sighted it recently, I took 4 other rifles with me that day, so I didn't save any targets. Round count is unknown, but it's a shooter. And at this very low weight, the rifle would be perfect for your mountain hunt. It weighs less with a Swaro Z8i than most rifles weigh bare!

Asking $2,250 shipped, and I have much more than that in it. Only reason I'm selling it is the usual…..something else has caught my eye. Ships from an individual to your FFL. I'll need glass, so will consider trades for quality European glass, plus or minus cash. I have a LOT of photos of the rifle from every angle. Drop me a PM if you have questions or need more pics. Thanks for looking!

Keith

IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0837.jpg
IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

Last edited:
To the top. An easy carry on your next mountain hunt and 7mm Mag power to kill most anything in North America. Let's try $2,250 shipped. I need cash for something I have my eye on, but will also need glass. Would be interested in trading for quality European glass, plus or minus cash.

Keith