Rifled Barrel length?

edge

If I disregard the barrel length needed to reach velocity is there any minimum length of rifling needed to ensure stability and accuracy?

For the sake of argument, I have a breech and barrel that can safely use 200kpsi and disregard muzzle blast.

How long does the barrel need to be, 1", 2" or more?

A different way to look at it would be a normal .338 with the rifling removed except for the last 1", 2" or more ( like a shotgun with a rifled choke tube.)?

Any thoughts?

If I disregard the barrel length needed to reach velocity is there any minimum length of rifling needed to ensure stability and accuracy?

For the sake of argument, I have a breech and barrel that can safely use 200kpsi and disregard muzzle blast.

How long does the barrel need to be, 1", 2" or more?

A different way to look at it would be a normal .338 with the rifling removed except for the last 1", 2" or more ( like a shotgun with a rifled choke tube.)?

Any thoughts?

First, Brass will not handle that king of pressure without failure.

Barrel length needs to be long enough to consume/burn most if not all of the powder charge. That can vary depending on the cartridge and the burn rate of the powder.

The problem with removing all but the lase few inches of the rifling, bullet velocity would be to high
by the time the bullet reached the rifling and would shear the bullet jacket and not engrave it and loose accuracy.

Don't know what your thoughts are, but I don't believe it would work very well.

J E CUSTOM

The only question is the rifled barrel length needed for accuracy.

Let me make it more clear, a Railgun Pistol for shooting a subsonic bullet.
Perhaps for simplicity a .45 with say a 200 grain bullet @ 1000 fps.

All I want to know is whether the barrel length has anything to do with accuracy or is the only reason for a long barrel velocity?

IF the only reason is velocity ( along with low muzzle pressure/Blast ) then how long does it really need to be?

Say a super quality barrel on a snub nose .38 mounted on a 50 pound platform firing at 1000 fps
COMPARED TO
A 30 inch barrel same caliber same velocity same platform would you detect a difference in accuracy?

The only question is the rifled barrel length needed for accuracy.

Let me make it more clear, a Railgun Pistol for shooting a subsonic bullet.
Perhaps for simplicity a .45 with say a 200 grain bullet @ 1000 fps.

All I want to know is whether the barrel length has anything to do with accuracy or is the only reason for a long barrel velocity?

IF the only reason is velocity ( along with low muzzle pressure/Blast ) then how long does it really need to be?

Say a super quality barrel on a snub nose .38 mounted on a 50 pound platform firing at 1000 fps
COMPARED TO
A 30 inch barrel same caliber same velocity same platform would you detect a difference in accuracy?

It is for velocity. A shorter barrel of equal weight generally is more accurate.

Ok, Now I think I know where you want to go with your project, so I can make a few more comments.

Barrel length does have something to do with the accuracy of high speed projectiles. (It allows
the projectile time to stabilize and gain velocity.

A very short barrel with little or no rifling won't accomplish this very well. but if you use a heavy projectile and a barrel with no rifling, barrel length will be less important. at one time there were pistols that had no barrel and just used the cylinder, but they were very inaccurate and only used for very close defense (10 to 15 feet) they had a small length of extension to the cylinder just to allow the powder time to apply enough velocity and start the bullet in the general direction they wanted it to go.

Mortar's (Not the rocket propelled kind)normally have no rifling and are very short and heavy smooth bores that are very accurate at reasonable ranges with heavy projectiles. But They were considered siege weapons and had a high trajectory

Sounds like an interesting project.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts