rifle

hey yall I live in ohio and can't use rifles for deer or anything but was wonder what would be the best rifle to buy for groundhogs n coyotas also what would be the range of each rifle......ive been using a .22 n sometimes my 870 but I want more distance :D

223, 204, 22-250, 220 swift, 243 win - pick your poison.

Any of these will be a serious upgrade over a 22LR, and depending on your skill level and accuracy of the rifle are capable of reaching out 300-600 yards pretty easily depending on which one of these you choose.

ok thanks i thought about getting a 223 cause i could deer hunt in other states with that but also were looking in to a 17hmr one more Q how far do you think i could hit groundhogs with a 223?gun)

Some people shoot groundhogs at 800 yards and even farther. How far you can do it depends on how good you an your equipment are. 223's while they will certainly kill a deer with precise shot placement are not quite optimal for deer. Some people have problems killing coyote's quickly with 223's.

Add possible deer hungint in other states in addition to varmint hunting and the standard calibers that come to mind are

.243 win
25-06
7mm-08
.280rem
.270win
or anything in between

The 280 and 270 are getting on up there in size and may be more than you want.

If anyone I personally know approached me and asked me "hey i want a coyote/groundhog/deer rifle what should i get" my answer to them would be "get a .243 or a 25-06 either or.

.243 win
25-06
7mm-08
If anyone I personally know approached me and asked me "hey i want a coyote/groundhog/deer rifle what should i get" my answer to them would be "get a .243 or a 25-06 either or.

I second those options, but will add the 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmore. I think the 6.5 calibers would get the nod from me though. However I am a very avid .308 fan.

Tank

My vote would be for a Savage 112 BVSS chambered in .243 Ackley Improved throated for 117g Matrix Ballistics VLD bullets. Those bullets perform similar to Bergers on game according to MB.

In the AI chamber, you can still shoot factory 243 Win ammo, which is readily available, if you choose but you can also take advantage of loading hot AI rounds once brass is formed if you want.

I plan to do this combo soon. :)

Liltank

For sure the 6.5's Deserve mention the reason i didnt was im unsure of the availibility of factory ammo for the various 6.5's

That being said if i had to sell everything and go with 1 rifle for everything i would strongly look at a 6.5x284 myself

6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmore. I think the 6.5 calibers would get the nod from me though.

The 6.5's are awesome. Be sure to include the 6.5x284 in this group.

In terms of distance, that all depends on quality of rifle and your skill, but with the right rifle and the right nut behind the gun, 1200+ on groundhogs is not out of the question.

Also, the 6.5's are great on deer. My 260Rem is capable of killing deer at 800yards.

Liltank

For sure the 6.5's Deserve mention the reason i didnt was im unsure of the availibility of factory ammo for the various 6.5's

That being said if i had to sell everything and go with 1 rifle for everything i would strongly look at a 6.5x284 myself

Hornady is making some quality ammo for the Creedmore. Lapua makes very good ammo for the 6.5x47. 6.5x284 is limited, but from what I have found the ammo is pretty good. Sooooo... if you willing to pay the piper for factory ammo, then it can be had. I would think the Lapua and Hornady ammo are going to be comparable.

Tank

So Mcreery do you load your own? If you do you have some excellent options and can tailor your caliber for excatly what you want to do with it. If not you can still get factory ammo for Most? if not all of the calibers mentioned in this thread. Subject to availability and/or your willingness to order ammo from online or catalog.

If you dont I would highly highly recommend it, I have recently started re-loading. If I had started from the very beginning My rifle collection would look mighty different.

223, 204, 22-250, 220 swift, 243 win - pick your poison.

Any of these will be a serious upgrade over a 22LR, and depending on your skill level and accuracy of the rifle are capable of reaching out 300-600 yards pretty easily depending on which one of these you choose.

yea that. If it starts with a 2 and is a center fire cartridge AND its availible AND cheap enough where you live go for it.
17 hmr are awsome but you would have to hunt closer.(around 100yrds)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.