Rifle won't chamber round

I bought a Teslong last week for my son. It was $39.00 , $10.00 cheaper than when I bought for myself. Both are just the cable , no monitor, but I plug mine into the 17" laptop , unbelievable. I have a Lyman that cost over $100. and the clarity isn't as good . The other day, I was using it to check inside of our dies.

I am surely glad I lived long enough to see the price of them come down to reasonable. (Actually a literal "steal"!)

How I wished for one over the last 50+ years!! Not just for guns, but also to see inside engines, walls.... you name it!

And for guns, it's not just the barrel either. The inside of brass cases, dies, etc., etc. Best deal EVER to own one!!

Regarding pic quality, I too find my Teslong excellent. If you threw your instructions away, go dig them back out of the trash. The fine print tells how to adjust the little mirrors in and out to vary the focus for different bore sizes. They also sell an accessory mirror set for them. The mirror kit sells for 20 bucks, which really seems relatively high by comparison and I haven't bought them yet.

Virtually my only complaint is that the light adjustment is rather coarse and "gritty", making precise light adjustments tough. I'll live with that. Or maybe someday change out the variable resistor for one of higher quality. No big deal either way...

I found an adaptor fitting to match my particular phone, and downloaded an app. Works perfectly, and will certainly be with me if/when I purchase any more used guns!

Can ya tell I like mine?!?

Vettepilot

Last edited:
Teslong Bore Scope ?
There are quite a few of these on amazon. Any particular model I should be looking at for rifle use?

It's not OP's fault and I'm glad he is back to a rifle with a clean bill of health, but this ending is like having
9D538FEC-BCC9-4460-8D82-BEA2A7DCA69B.jpeg

It's not OP's fault and I'm glad he is back to a rifle with a clean bill of health, but this ending is like having View attachment 222081
I fully agree. I am glad Lesserhunter is back in the game. Nobody wants a fellow shooter to have a problem. I was just thinking about all of the things it could be, and the last thing that I expected was something that would dissolve. This makes me rethink my cleaning process.

Well there was good things that came out due to this posting . Several people ordered bore scopes , people thought more about looking in their chambers before and after cleaning as well as looking at their bolt face's and brushing them when cleaning their rifles and we know that it really doesn't take much to dent brass .

Before you bring said 300 WM rifle to a gunsmith please do the following steps.

1) Remove the bolt from the rifle.
2) Examine the bolt face itself for excessive carbon or brass debris.
3) If debris is found then break down your bolt and remove the firing pin and extractor claw.
4) Now give your bolt face a thorough cleaning removing all carbon and brass build-up
5) If all looks good with your bolt lightly oil with say Rem oil or Ballistol wipe dry proceed as follows.
6) Look down your bore with a flashlight if you do not have a borescope.
7) If you see anything out of the ordinary that may be your culprit.
8) Now staring with your rifles chamber and throat area using a pistol cleaning rod (a short one usually less than 8 ")
attach a .30 caliber bronze cleaning brush dipped in bore cleaning solvent and work your barrels throat and chamber area vigorously and set your bore brush aside. ( Do not forget to scrub the area where the bolt face makes contact with your barrel )
9) Follow up with a patch that has bore cleaner on it and cleaner on it and work your bore and throat area thoroughly
10) Proceed with more patches until areas seem to be spotless.
11) Examine your bore carefully with a light, starting from the muzzle end.
12) If your bore is clean you should see nothing but your lands and grooves.
Now hopefully your rounds will chamber, but if not because you are still getting dents in your shoulder area I would certainly locate then isolate that area (look at your shell casings for reference) and repeat your cleaning until your cartridges chamber correctly.
Conclusion:
I honestly believe from what you are saying that you have a foreign body (ie brass or carbon) that has become lodged in your chambers throat area.
In that light with a little diligence and time, you can bring your rifle back to working status.
I know that some of this may be redundant to you, however, in order to achieve success you must become methodical and proceed one step at a time until you have isolated the problem area and worked it enough to repair your rifle.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Before you bring said 300 WM rifle to a gunsmith please do the following steps.

1) Remove the bolt from the rifle.
2) Examine the bolt face itself for excessive carbon or brass debris.
3) If debris is found then break down your bolt and remove the firing pin and extractor claw.
4) Now give your bolt face a thorough cleaning removing all carbon and brass build-up
5) If all looks good with your bolt lightly oil with say Rem oil or Ballistol wipe dry proceed as follows.
) Look down your bore with a flashlight if you do not have a borescope.
7) If you see anything out of the ordinary that may be your culprit.

8) Now staring with your rifles chamber and throat area using a pistol cleaning rod (a short one usually less than 8 ")
attach a .30 caliber bronze cleaning brush dipped in bore cleaning solvent and work your barrels throat and chamber area vigorously and set your bore brush aside. ( Do not forget to scrub the area where the bolt face makes contact with your barrel )
9) Follow up with a patch that has bore cleaner on it and cleaner on it and work your bore and throat area thoroughly
10) Proceed with more patches until areas seem to be spotless.
11) Examine your bore carefully with a light, starting from the muzzle end.
12) If your bore is clean you should see nothing but your lands and grooves.
Now hopefully your rounds will chamber, but if not because you are still getting dents in your shoulder area I would certainly locate then isolate that area (look at your Sheels for reference) and repeat your cleaning until your cartridges chamber correctly.
Conclusion:
I honestly believe from what you are saying that you have a foreign body (ie brass or carbon) that has become lodged in your chambers throat area
In that light with a little diligence and time, you can bring your rifle back to working status.
I know that some of this may be redundant to you, however, in order to achieve success you must become be methodical and proceed one step at a time until you have isolated the problem area and repaired your rifle.
Best of luck!

I was just thinkin' the same thing as Blackhawk about what he listed at #'s 6-7. By soakin' that chamber overnight, the substance may have dislodged/dissolved from the chamber area BUT migrated into the bore. Could be solid enough when dry/set up to cause a blockage you don't want.

I'm just a wonderin' ... if maybe - perhaps the rifle was stored with the bolt open and perhaps a 'lil critter of some sort (caterpiller, mud dauber, spider, fly, etc, etc) might have left behind their nasty little debris in the chamber ...

This thread had me so worked up that the only way I could get rid of those Christmas decorations up above was to just order myself one of those amazonian special borescopes ... mine arrives today :) Can't wait to see what the inside of my rifles, brass, dies, etc look like!

Don't forget to double check that bore for obstructions now ... if something did work its way down in there it will be very unpleasant to discover it upon a pull of the trigger ...

Thanks for posting this!

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. Have a 300 win mag purchased off here that I personally have shot probably 200+ rounds out of and no issues. Went to shoot today with the same federal hybrid hunter factory ammo I have always shot and I am unable to chamber a round. The round will not go past the neck, tried 3 boxes of ammo including one I had partially shot previously. Also tried to chamber a piece of brass I had previously shot and same thing. Forced it a little on the empty case and it left some pretty bad marks. I can upload a picture of that later. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Rifle is a Stiller action with a shilen barrel. Unsure who did the smithing
I would s
Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. Have a 300 win mag purchased off here that I personally have shot probably 200+ rounds out of and no issues. Went to shoot today with the same federal hybrid hunter factory ammo I have always shot and I am unable to chamber a round. The round will not go past the neck, tried 3 boxes of ammo including one I had partially shot previously. Also tried to chamber a piece of brass I had previously shot and same thing. Forced it a little on the empty case and it left some pretty bad marks. I can upload a picture of that later. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Rifle is a Stiller action with a shilen barrel. Unsure who did the smithing
I would spray a liberal dose of good lube like WD 40 into the chamber and run a stiff wire brush thru from the front of the barrel towards the magazine...if there is anything in the chamber you don't want to push it further into the barrel....Ross 1147 also had a good idea as the same happened to me....check the bolt face first as it only takes a few small particles in the ring around the face to make it impossible to close the bolt and push the case to far forward to the lands

I'm glad the OP got it figured out, but it was a bit anticlimactic! Speaking of the Teslongs, I was looking at them the other day trying to figure out which model to get. Any recommendation on if the ones with rigid tubes to insert in the barrel are worth the extra cost?
Thanks

I have the all-flex one, and I like it that way myself. Easier to "sqiggle it around" and get different views of things. For just a straight shot, in and back out look, the rigid might be handy, but I like my "flexy". YMMV

The other thing is I can coil it back into it's box for storage, and it's more easily mobile to take gun shopping...

Vettepilot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.