Rifle won't chamber round

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. Have a 300 win mag purchased off here that I personally have shot probably 200+ rounds out of and no issues. Went to shoot today with the same federal hybrid hunter factory ammo I have always shot and I am unable to chamber a round. The round will not go past the neck, tried 3 boxes of ammo including one I had partially shot previously. Also tried to chamber a piece of brass I had previously shot and same thing. Forced it a little on the empty case and it left some pretty bad marks. I can upload a picture of that later. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Rifle is a Stiller action with a shilen barrel. Unsure who did the smithing
Clean it. Think carbon ring.

Brass is seriously dented..but doesn't look scratched...if it was a screw there would be all kinds of scratches on that brass...with the brass only going in that far with the bolt...wow...sure you didn't have a full head separation on that last shot....how about the bent wire test...like checking for head separation inside a piece of brass..just this time feeling for a brass body inside the chamber....or use a piece of cotton and slide it inside looking for a 'catch' place.....
Looks more like 06 brass than 300wm

Ordered a borescope today, I will keep everyone updated when it arrives. It's definitely 300wm brass. I will give a cotton swab a try and see what happens while impatiently waiting for the borescope. I can narrow my last shot down to 10 pieces of brass, what should I be looking for on them?

First thing, get on Amazon and order a Teslong bore scope . Hopefully you already figured and fixed the problem, but the scope runs $50.00 to $75.00 depending on model......cheaper than 2 boxes of good ammo, and will answer many questions.... Hope you have it figured out....rsbhunter
Yes for the Teslong Borescope. My $78 one, with wifi to iPhone or Android, works great.

Can't wait to see what is causing a dent that big in the brass. Especially since nothing has been changed on rifle since last firing.
Shep
Seems like it would be the end of a protruding rail screw. Once when remounting my 20 MOA pic rail, on a Remington 700 action, I accidentally reversed the front and rear screws, and couldn't close the bolt until I reversed the screws. (I see that the OP has a pic rail under his NF scope.) Mine is a 300 WM by Christensen.

Last edited:
I would think if its a protruding screw then the bolt wouldn't close on an empty chamber either , there aren't any screw holes that protrude into the chamber so if it was a screw denting the brass that bad then it would be hitting the bolt too.
I still think something got stuck in the chamber, I'm eager to see what the bore scope reveals

It appears to be something softer in the chamber since there is a gradual dent and not heavy scratching like a screw would do take a oversize brush for a pistol rd 45 etc or even 50cal and try cleaning the chamber only try rotating the brush when its in the chamber then use an over size patch and clean out any solvent etc from the chamber and see what happens I have also been able to pull out broken off cases from a chamber with an over size brush inserted from the chamber end just a thought while waiting for bore scope

Last edited:
Might have missed I, but how do you clean your chamber? An oversized brass brush with patch is one option

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.