Rifle won't chamber round

Find a thin strip of metal and press it against an empty case to obtain the shape of a cartridge. Remove the bolt and work the shaped metal into the chamber until it hits the obstruction and mark the exposed metal so you know exactly where the bulge is. Remove the strip and see if there are any mounting screws in that area and you will know if that is the cause of the problem.

My take on it is if the brass is as OP says and if it's the same with new unfired brass then it's possible the damage to the case is occurring outside the chamber as it feeds in. I'd pull the bolt out completely and try dropping a round in then, if it drops in, look at the mag follower for distortion and if you can take the mag out check there's nothing broken off in there or some shrapnel from where I don't know. May even be an extractor issue.
Chambers and bolts are pretty difficult to distort/damage, so I would sure be looking at the mag etc.

I can't see anything on any of my old brass, or inside the gun. Gave the rifle a good cleaning today and still no luck. Forced a piece of brass in and these are the marks it leaves, almost flat. Guessing I will have to find a local smith to bring it in

I was at the range one day, there was a guy there who was trying to shoot his Sako 300 WinMag that he'd bought online and having the same difficulty. I gave him the phone number of a gunsmith who happens to be a friend. The guy did take the rifle to my friend, the gunsmith found the top half of a casing that was stuck inside of the chamber. The photo of the brass that you have on your posting is far more than a piece of brass or a cleaning patch, something is seriously stuck inside of that chamber. Take it to your gunsmith and have it looked at, or do a chamber cast of the rifle yourself. Good luck with this, sucks when there's a problem and you are having trouble figuring out the cause of it.

I'd like to add that the gunsmith tried all of the usual methods of using an oversized cleaning brush and also a tool that is specifically designed to open up inside of the stuck piece of brass with no avail. He then made a casting of the chamber with Cerrsafe. Once the casting hardened he drove the broken casing out with a wooden dowel.

Last edited:
This is such a demonstration of why owning a borescope is so dam cool!!

Especially now that you can buy them for less than ONE short visit to a gunsmith...

Mine saved me big time recently. Brand new RIA/Armscor 22 TCM/9mm. Borescope revealed the 9mm barrel was great, but the 22TCM barrel was all scored to hell. Sent a snapshot to the company. They said "send it back to us", and they paid the shipping! They fitted and tested a new barrel, and had it back to me in two weeks! Great service, and LOVE my borescope.

Vettepilot

Last edited:
Yeah, this is an honest head scratcher..... Bad enough when its a scratch, but that is like having a primer jammed in the chamber!!...rsbhunter

I will get a bore scope ordered. It is factory ammo and was fired from the same rifle, I only tried the brass so it would be safer to force it some than a live round. I do not have a go gauge either. Just to rule it out I removed the scope mount and stock but same issue. I have every piece of brass fired since I have owned it, wouldn't I notice looking at the brass if one separated?

Did you say whether or not you can chamber your old fired cases? Even if fired cases are snug to a chamber they will go in further than this loaded ammo is. Might tell you if you have a chamber issue, or an issue with this new ammo. If your previously fired empties do the same thing then there is an obstruction in the chamber.

Edit... Nevermind, reread original post and see that fired cases do the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.