Rifle suggestions

How about a 264 WIN. MAG.? My buddy has one and he is shooting close to 6" groups with a bipod at 1,000 yds. One of the flattest shooters out there with great BC. 140 gr. Berger Match VLDs BC = G7 313.

joseph

PS: This is the stock I got plus a few options like adjustable cheek, 3 pillers & under forearm rail & blind sling swivel under butt stock:

Stocks
Looks a lot like my a5

DSCN0582.jpg

Yea like that joe0121. I like the idea of ammo availability but a couple of boxes of shells in the gun case should get yu by. Ill always have my 270 with. I just dont know what ill gain for a 3-400yrd shot over a 25 06. More over kill i guess.

joe0121,

Yes they are very similar. I think the only big difference is price.

joseph

PS: I can only fit a 1 dollar bill between the barrel & the forearm. :D

Attachments

• setup 2.jpg
    setup 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 43
  • setup 4.jpg
    setup 4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
joe0121,

Yes they are very similar. I think the only big difference is price.

joseph

PS: I can only fit a 1 dollar bill between the barrel & the forearm. :D

Joesph,

That's a nice looking rifle. But, if you point that thing at my house with the bolt closed, you'd better duck. Because I'm not waiting for it to go off before I start shooting back. gun)

Be safe!!
Richard

Joesph,

That's a nice looking rifle. But, if you point that thing at my house with the bolt closed, you'd better duck. Because I'm not waiting for it to go off before I start shooting back. gun)

Be safe!!
Richard

Yeah, I was thinking in the same lines. I was gonna say, "I bet the neighbors just love you for setting up in your front yard and pointing the rifle at their house!:rolleyes:" I just realized upon closer observation you even have your wind vane out. Now that's support for a sport!

Tank

No house across the road. Only put the bolt in for the last pictures.

You should have seen me with my back pack with the rifle stuffed in it with 30 pounds of sand walking 1/2 mile every day for 2 months getting into shape for Wyoming. Had quite a few neighbors cheering me on as they passed in their cars.

joseph

Last edited:
Lol too many joe's in the thread.

joseph,

Thats a #7 the new one will be a #10 so I might soon be in the same boat nothing some 80 grit and a dowel rod cant fix :D

I have an old Marine Corps buddy over the other day and a guy from one of the black water type company and we had gone out shooting on the farm. So we roll up in my friends prius (I know but you should see the look on people faces when they see a prius with an Obama Sucks bumper sticker) and the neighbors were sitting on their porch. We pile out and start pulling various AK47's AR 15 My rifle and Sig's with suppressors on them and a couple more AR with cans.

they don't let their dog **** on my bushes anymore.

Lol too many joe's in the thread.

joseph,

Thats a #7 the new one will be a #10 so I might soon be in the same boat nothing some 80 grit and a dowel rod cant fix :D

I have an old Marine Corps buddy over the other day and a guy from one of the black water type company and we had gone out shooting on the farm. So we roll up in my friends prius (I know but you should see the look on people faces when they see a prius with an Obama Sucks bumper sticker) and the neighbors were sitting on their porch. We pile out and start pulling various AK47's AR 15 My rifle and Sig's with suppressors on them and a couple more AR with cans.

they don't let their dog **** on my bushes anymore.

Nowadays, I back into the garage to load/unload gear. The neighbors aren't so much a concern. But, I worry about others passing by.

When I was in high school, half the pickups in the parking lot had deer rifles hanging in the rear window and it wasn't unusual for the FFA boys to clean shotguns during first period.

sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread

These guys are showing you some really nice stuff, but they've blown your $1K budget outta the water.
I'm hearing some really good things out of the Savage camp, but I've never owned one, so really can't attest.
I assume the $1K is for a "turn key" rig, so go with a Rem 700, maybe a Sendero style (HSP stock).
7mm mag is a top notch caliber with factory ammo very available unlike a .264 as mentioned.
Two things to do:
Trigger job - tune it down around 2lbs.
Good glass - It's been said "spend at least half the rifle cost on a scope". I would spend about the same, but that's just me.

Happy hunting dude!

All Savage rifles for less than 1K. Not to mention they can be found for less on the actual market than what they list. Some of these come in the 6.5 Creedmore.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .260 Rem

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .308 & .300 WSM Nice rifle. It is what I currently own (well the action anyway).

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .308Win

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5 Creedmore and 260 Rem

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5x284

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5x284

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5 Creedmore

I just found out that they now make the Long Range Hunter in 338LM and listed at 1210.00. That tells me that you could actually pick it up for around the $1000 to $1100 mark. That's pretty dang cool. Wish I had a wife that supports my habit. I would have one on order right now.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.