Rifle Suggestions for a lefty

webs

I am looking at building a long range rifle (500-600yds mostly) I have decided on a VX-3 6.5-20 with M1 turrets but I am still at a loss for a gun. I would prefer to stay below $800 on the gun. The problem is I want a rifle in 300wsm and would like a Remington 700 but it doesn't seem to exist and I don't want to spend alot of money on a custom rig or Remington's Custom shop. So any suggestions between Browning, TIkka, or Savage or any other ideas?

I would like to eventually bed the stock, free float the barrel, lap the lugs, do trigger work and possibly recrown the muzzle.

The main reason for me to get a .30 caliber is because of the bullet choices since we handload and have alot of .30 bullets. Another option I suppose would be the 300 RUM. Whats the difference in recoil between that and the 300wsm. I would like to keep the gun around 9lbs.
Thanks

Kevin

Sounds like you want my rifle. It's a LH Savage long action. I have two 300wsm barrels for it. One is a 26" #5 contour Hart, the other is a 26" Heavy magnum Krieger. Also have a 28" Varmint taper Shilen in 7mmwsm. I use two stocks with it. The factory plastic for light weight carry and a Stockade Pdog tactical for long range or bench work.

My recommendation would be to get a new Savage 116FLHSS in a magnum caliber of your choice. Take the barrel off and sell it. Then get a quality pre-fit of your choice in 300wsm. You'll be head and shoulders above any factory out of the box gun and still be at less than $800.

The benefits will be: left hand, accustock, accutrigger, long action for long bullets, hinged floor plate than can be easily swapped for DBM, and a better than factory barrel.

Sounds like you want my rifle. It's a LH Savage long action. I have two 300wsm barrels for it. One is a 26" #5 contour Hart, the other is a 26" Heavy magnum Krieger. Also have a 28" Varmint taper Shilen in 7mmwsm. I use two stocks with it. The factory plastic for light weight carry and a Stockade Pdog tactical for long range or bench work.

My recommendation would be to get a new Savage 116FLHSS in a magnum caliber of your choice. Take the barrel off and sell it. Then get a quality pre-fit of your choice in 300wsm. You'll be head and shoulders above any factory out of the box gun and still be at less than $800.

The benefits will be: left hand, accustock, accutrigger, long action for long bullets, hinged floor plate than can be easily swapped for DBM, and a better than factory barrel.

So I could buy basically any left handed magnum rifle and just have to throw on a new barrel to get the 300wsm caliber? How easy is it to change barrels on bolt action rifles?

So I could buy basically any left handed magnum rifle and just have to throw on a new barrel to get the 300wsm caliber? How easy is it to change barrels on bolt action rifles?

Yes, it's that simple.

It takes me about 10 minutes to swap barrels. 15 if I'm going to a different bolt head.

Savage uses a barrel nut to set head space. To remove the nut you'll need a action wrench or barrel vise and a nut wrench.

Put the action or barrel in the vise. Give the nut wrench a sharp whack with a hammer. Unscrew the barrel.

Screw the new barrel onto a go-gauge or piece of fired and sized brass. Tighten the nut back down.

Put your scope and stock back on and go shoot.

You could be shooting a 223 and 15 minutes later be shooting a 338 Edge on the same action.

Savages are the easiest to find in lefty.

How would the action cycle if I ended up buying a gun chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum and switched it to a short magnum. It just seems there would be alot of extra space. Would this extra space in the action harm accuracy any? Sorry for the stupid questions I am just trying to gain an understanding here.

Not stupid questions. Excellent ones in fact.

My long action cycles short mags excellent. It's an older stagger feed. The new centerfeeds are even better.

Long VLD style bullets usually prefer to be at or into the lands. It's nearly impossible to do that with the restriction of a short action mag box. A long action gives you all the room you need. So, it can improve accuracy.

the recoil for the tikka is the same as any rifle in that weight class. I installed a limbsaver pad on and it really helped. The DM is ok. Expensive to replace so don't loose it.

Savage rifles have a great reputation for being accurate. With that said... I will never buy another after all the headaches I've had w/ my 22-250. Just my .02... And I'll admit that I know few who are not satisfied w/ their savage rifles.

Well maybe it would just be easier to buy a Rem. 700 in 300 RUM. Since I am handloading I can always load down or change recoil pads or even add a muzzlebrake if I don't like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.