Rifle stock suggestions

I'm gonna agree with lance on this one:
100yds-
View attachment 138307 View attachment 138308
400-View attachment 138306
880-View attachment 138305
All with padded cheek rests.
Saying that because a competitor doesn't use something doesn't make ineffective. I use Harris bipods and you won't find those at f class matches or many others for that matter
You can shoot good groups, but if you want to shoot excellent groups, The padded comb, is not a go to way, to do it.

If you think you might be interested in a chassis, I've been researching the Oryx chassis system. Priced very reasonable considering others. I have a McMillan A5-ADJ that I love, but I sure am drooling over the Oryx.

https://oryxchassis.com/
If you think you might be interested in a chassis, I've been researching the Oryx chassis system. Priced very reasonable considering others. I have a McMillan A5-ADJ that I love, but I sure am drooling over the Oryx.

https://oryxchassis.com/
I want one of those too.

You can shoot good groups, but if you want to shoot excellent groups, The padded comb, is not a go to way, to do it.
So is this not a great group. I use the Bradley with a thin neoprene adhesive pad.
Screenshot_20190618-171443_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190618-171537_Photos.jpg

You fellas missed the whole point. Do whatever you want. If you ever go to a rifle match, or watch Olympic Competition, count how many padded combs are on the line.

You fellas missed the whole point. Do whatever you want. If you ever go to a rifle match, or watch Olympic Competition, count how many padded combs are on the line.
You might be right but how many or those guys are shooting a 7 lb rifle that they have to carry through the woods. I don't think they are too concerned about weight.

We are offering a 50$ solution instead of 1200$ solution is the point. I'm reasonably sure that the padded cheek won't be the weakest link in any hunting rifle

You might be right but how many or those guys are shooting a 7 lb rifle that they have to carry through the woods. I don't think they are too concerned about weight.
An adjustable comb, doesn't add enough weight to even mention. I can't remember the exact cost, but installation by a professional stock man in Oklahoma, ran me about $200. You really need the comb adjusted correctly, for natural point of aim. I saw one Army sniper, that carved a block of white pine, by hand, until he got the correct height, then taped it down with 100 mph tape. Looked like crap, but, it was solid. lol.

I do like the manners stocks....along with McM. I have A5 on my Remmy.. This model 70 is sort of a fun project that I just decided to put together. I wasn't looking to spend that kind of money just yet.

Hopefully, I will get lucky and find someone selling one soon.

What calibre
In order going down: 7RM, .280AI, 6.5SS.

7RM (without the cheek rest on it in the photo)

.280AI

6.5SS (will be getting a new paint job on the stock this summer)

To be honest, I have 3 rifles now that have adjustable cheek pieces. And a 4th stock on order. An adjustable cheek piece adds about 1-1.25lbs to a stock. So depends on your intended use if it is worth the weight. For most rifles, they are awesome. If you plan on hunting Tahr in NZ, or Ibex in the Urals, you might want to shave every ounce you can.

But I stand by my statement that real heavy hitters like a .300RUM pushing a 230 Berger @ 3113 (bottom photo) is nicer to shoot with a padded cheek rest. Luckily, it is a 15.5# rifle with a good brake which helps. But an 8lb .300WM would be similar if not heavier recoiling.

6 Creedmoor

6.5SLR

.300RUM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.