Rifle shoots a foot high at 100 yards

Iron Worker

Ok mounted my Zeiss V6 5-30x50mm on my 1885 using Leupold bases and rings. High rings and the rifle shoots a foot high at 100 yds with the scope adjustment reticle bottomed out. The bell of the objective is about 5/16s above the barrel. So if I exchange the rings for some medium high will that fix the problem ?

It may but may not. I'd try switching the front and rear rings and if that doesn't get it down I'd get a new base and put on it. I'd guess the culprit is the bases but I'd prob lap the rings since you know something is outa whack. Last thing you wanna do is harm the tube on your scope. I cant say i like leupold bases and rings other than the mark 4 stuff.

If you go to this site and scroll down you will see a photo of a one piece base that is mounted to the receiver but not touching the barrel. If this is what is happening with your rifle it would end up shooting high. You may have to shim under your front base. Exchanging the high rings for medium high will make very little difference IMO.
http://www.thediyhunter.com/243-wss...ng/149-model-1885-high-wall-base-ring-trigger

Ok mounted my Zeiss V6 5-30x50mm on my 1885 using Leupold bases and rings. High rings and the rifle shoots a foot high at 100 yds with the scope adjustment reticle bottomed out. The bell of the objective is about 5/16s above the barrel. So if I exchange the rings for some medium high will that fix the problem ?

Here's a sad real life experience. I couldn't get my brand new custom to hit the 2X4 target at 100 yards. Finally discovered the barrel was bent to the left! Maybe yours is bent up.

Had 1 like this a while back and Burris signature Z rings have inserts that help fix it for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts