Rifle scopes, price point of diminishing returns?

retegret

Looking for a rifle scope for new hunting rifle to be used a couple times a year on deer, elk, etc. probably within 500 yds shots. What's the price range I should be looking at? At what point do I get very little more for a lot more money? Add the fact that I have 60+ year old eyes and have glasses, so any advantage on clarity would help.

Not looking to skimp by, got a couple thousand in the rifle, several thousand in the hunt. I don't mind putting another couple thousand in a scope if needed, but always been a nagging question; What do I need? Figure that a hundred(s) dollar scope would quickly fail with recoil and or handling, true? Would a thousand-ish scope be the sweet spot, couple thousand, few, several? What does a hunter get/need for $10,000? Open to the floor...Thanks

IMO it's around a thousand to 1.5ish. Especially if you're not cranking turrets a lot.
Leupold vx5/Vx6hd
Zeiss v4/v6
Swarovski z5

If you're looking for specific things, or to trust your life on dialing over and over, go to war, want to compete in matches etc then step up for sure. But, from my search this is the price range where you get good scopes and great glass for hunting rifles. While paying more will get you more these offer a lot.

Depends on the options you prefer. SWFA flat out gets it done on a budget. NF SHV is also a great choice in the $1000ish range. At $1500 I can't help , zero experience there . At $2000+ NF ATACR, S&B PMII are exceptional and offer almost any option you'd like. $4000+ gets you into a Tangent Theta or Hensoldt, enjoy and pass them down to loved ones.

I'm old too and I am at the "Last One I'll Need" point? I have a big heavy 300WM
that needs a scope and I'm leaning towards a Nightforce ATACR C545
Unless this thread changes my mind?

And never look back.

I traded my NXS off & now have a Razor Gen II.

I'll have another NF before long.

The F1 Mil/Mil is what I want but the NXS has always done everything I needed.

Depends on the options you prefer. SWFA flat out gets it done on a budget. NF SHV is also a great choice in the $1000ish range. At $1500 I can't help , zero experience there . At $2000+ NF ATACR, S&B PMII are exceptional and offer almost any option you'd like. $4000+ gets you into a Tangent Theta or Hensoldt, enjoy and pass them down to loved ones.

Yup, can't beat SWFA for reliability and price. The 42mm objective leaves a lot to be desired though. It sucks right at last light not being able to see your cross hairs. The SWFA HDs fix that though and are right around a 1,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot my buddies custom rifle (5k bare rifle) with a vortex AMG. That is one hell of a scope. I compared it to my other buddies Kalhes 624i I think it's called. Anyway the AMG was $600 cheaper and a way clearer scope. Vortex really did a good job with that scope. The clicks were loud, the glass extremely bright, and the reticle was easy to use.

Personally I would go with 2.5-10x42 Nightforce nxs if your only going to 500 light enough to carry always hold zero and I've never had a tracking problem.

There are many great options to look at, and a lot will work inside 500 yards. A great FFP option for your use would be a Burris Veracity 3-15x50. Under 600. If you really don't mind spending more, but it's well past the point of diminishing returns for your stated use, I love my March. It's over 2k, but I can also do long range shooting with it. Both weigh 25 ounces or less, which, when you are hunting and have to climb that 1000 ft ridge to get into the next drainage, you will greatly appreciate. I also love Nightforce, but it's a very heavy scope and engineered to jump out of helicopters into action with, and so weighs mid to hi 30 ounces. Lot more weight than needed for hunting. If you want SFP, Zeiss very hard to beat for hunting application.

I've been using a 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff BDC out to 500 yards on my ruger .300 WM for about 15 years. It's always held zero and hard hunts well. It was $150.

That being said I'd look at ziess scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.