Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

ksgunguy

Hi all,
Just finished talking to the wife last night and she is setting my limit to a $1000 when it comes to getting a production (rather than a custom) rifle and scope. With this rifle I would only be hunting deer as well as using it for some range time. Once I get more into hunting than we can talk about getting a Kirby Allen master piece:)gun):D

Can you ignore my other thread I started and make recommendations for a good setup with the limited funds. As another member noted that it is best to spend more on the scope than on the rifle so I'm find with that.Just need some major help

thanks in advance

KS- No. the answers to all the questions on here are : rem sendero, leup 6.5-20, kenton knobb, a good lazer range finder and some good ammo. do you re load ? are shooting deer in Kansas? start shopping for those things. . i bought a sendero with a scope and mounts for 480.

I will add a heavy barrel savage 10 or 12 to your options, I stand by my recommendation of getting a 308 especially if you are not going to be reloading.

Optics are going to be tricky on that budget, I have used and like the Vortex viper line which are just over $400 unless cameraland is running their deal on v-plex wide reticles again (edit: they are not)
Another oprion is SWFA SS now that they have matched turrets and reticles in mils but the drawback there is you will have a fixed magnification scope.

In either case if you need to strictly stick to that budget your going to be better off looking at the used market.

Which Vortex viper line would you recommend?
also what about the tikka T3 300 WMAG
I little over is not going to hurt when it comes to my budget:D

Base Viper not the HS or the PST, objective bell is your choice, they come in 44 or 50mm
The PST is a great scope I also have one of those but at $750 it will take most of your budget.
If you reload there is nothing wrong with a 300 WM, factory ammo is another story, Federal gold medal match for 308 is around a buck/round when you can find it in stock, 300WM FGMM is $2.60/round
But again at 500 yards I dont see much gain over a 308.

I would buy a stevens 200 in .308 for $300 shoot that for a while, then buy a pre chambered barrel $300 and a SSS trigger $96 And a Boyds or Stocky's $92 stock. Lil bit of bedding on that new stock with the barrel trigger and a good scope like a used VXll or VXlll for under $300 or similar. Would be a good shooter for more or less than $1200+/- . You can do it Just find some one local that can help you put it all together. Plenty of things on youtube about assembly.

KSgunguy

I am wondering if we have the full scoop here ?

Do you not possess a single other rifle or scope ? Because if you do, you may be able to borrow from that or upgrade something and be in business.

I assume you are planning to hunt whitetail and possibly smaller critters in KS ? Were not talking Elk, black and brown bears ? Whitetail are not exactly the most robust critters on earth. If you are allowed to hunt with a 243, that platform has a lot of potential and (with the right barrel) there are some really terrific bullets with great long distance potential (up to 7-800 yards).

How far you will practically be able to shoot is going to depend on the scope. One of the least expensive variable options with reliable turrets is the 3-12x42BDC M223 Nikon scope (it has the Nikon product number 8489). The Nikoplex reticle is less cluttered, but that scope is only sold with an elevation turret marked in Yards for a 223 with 55gr bullet, so useless basically.

So assuming you have a Savage or Remington short action rifle in any one of the cases based on the 308 family, you can get a Shilen or Criterion match barrel with an 8 twist from NSS for $300 + the Nikon scope for about $450. You will have to spend a bit of money on Berger 105 hunting VLD's and a few reloading dies. That outfit will provide you with a lot of learning opportunity and will be very effective in windy conditions. You should have no problem killing whitetails out to 500 yards or more once you have sufficient practice and have developed your bullet trajectory and method for gaging wind speed.

If you load up lighter 75-80gr bullets you should kill a lot of groundhogs, just don't shoot too fast and burn out that precision barrel.

Without the extra window dressing or peripheral equipment, it can be done but just barely, not totally ideally but a capable rig none the less.
If it were me: savage accutrigger in preferred long action caliber $500-, a fixed power swfa 12x42 mil/mil scope $320-, a decent base, rings and a level $150, devcon steel putty and a couple bolts from the hardware store $30ish. =$1000ish
The upgrading is of course unlimited and if you can and want, Year after next a new stock to make it even better, year after that a shiny new barrel in that long range magnum you've bean dreaming bout.
By then you will know if it is worth it to spend all that again to up your optics or the rest, but in the mean time your shooting at distance and can work at the pace your budget and interest allow or just run it. My first real 1k rifle was about $825 and performed great, that same rifle now sits at about 18-1900 all dressed up but even on the cheep she could do a grand just fine.
Of course you can cheat almost all the numbers shopping secondary market, wholesale or opportunistic, carefully and Patiently.
P.s. dear hunting might be better served with a 10x rather than a 12x but on that budget I would stick with a fixed power tactical scope. If the budget were just a couple hundred more it would be worth trying to squeeze in a variable.

Everything I said in your other thread still applies. Now that I know this is a deer/target rifle for 500yds. I think you should look at Savage with Accutrigger chambered in .243 and top it off with a Nikon with BDC reticle. You'll need a decent rangefinder that reads out to 800 yds. minimum. Try some HSM ammo loaded with A-Max bullets. If you had to sacrifice any of the above to save a few bucks a Stevens instead of Savage would work. You can upgrade the trigger later. From there you can upgrade as you can afford too. Like I mentioned before a .308 or a .260 would be excellent choices as well but for your criteria I would go .243. Best of luck, let us know what you get. Practice as much as you can and when your not shooting read all you can on here.

I am apparently confused. Are we talking 1k rifle or just 500 yard dear?
edit never mind I see. What range are you hoping to engage? General purpose is too easy for a thousand bucks.

This is the Vortex Viper that was on sale:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

They have a "wide duplex" version that sells for $279 and is one incredible deal. As of 2 weeks ago they had a few (20+) in stock so I'd call Doug and see if they still do. They might not be advertised.

I use one on my 257 Weatherby and really like it.

Here it is on the Vortex site:
Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Dead-Hold BDC
See the V-Plex Wide reticle.

Dam I just called and they are all sold out

Everything I said in your other thread still applies. Now that I know this is a deer/target rifle for 500yds. I think you should look at Savage with Accutrigger chambered in .243 and top it off with a Nikon with BDC reticle. You'll need a decent rangefinder that reads out to 800 yds. minimum. Try some HSM ammo loaded with A-Max bullets. If you had to sacrifice any of the above to save a few bucks a Stevens instead of Savage would work. You can upgrade the trigger later. From there you can upgrade as you can afford too. Like I mentioned before a .308 or a .260 would be excellent choices as well but for your criteria I would go .243. Best of luck, let us know what you get. Practice as much as you can and when your not shooting read all you can on here.

Ok so I'm going to look at the Savage with the Accutrigger chambered in .243. what particular Nikon or Vortex should I get with the BDC reticle? Rangefinder recommendations? The cost of the rangefinder is separate from the rifle and scope so I can spend what ever on that without the wife giving me heck :D. and down the road if I want to upgrade the rifle what is available for this particular rifle if any( barrel, etc).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.