rifle sale question

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by gjk5, Sep 23, 2018.

1. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

am I better off selling rifle and scope separate? My gut tells me like anything else accessories do not pay off in overall package deal, sell them individually.

Selling a nice rifle with worked up load from a reputable shop and good scope with load matched turret so kind of torn.

Doing a rework of the safe right now so lots of other posts to follow, sorry.

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Generally yes if it's a quality optic..

3. Chesternutt

Chesternutt Member

Yes id rather sell my rifle and scope separately .

4. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I would be hesitant buying a scope with a load matched turret.
    What if I plan to use a different rifle..Caliber..Bullet..Powder?

5. Rum Man

Rum Man Well-Known Member

You should just list it with pictures asap..
    We are all needing a new rifle !
    Is it small bore or big bore ! You can separate when someone is interested.
    Good luck on your sale !

6. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

I will take pics tonight and post it for sale after cleaning and removing scope and bipod.

It's an Accumark .30-378

7. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Separate the two, or the scope will bring fire sale price, at best.

8. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

Generally it's better splitting them up but in your case with a weapon system that is ready to go out of tge box i tgink you should be able to ask a slight premium. Some guys don't want to mess with the load development and trajectory validation.

9. slas

slas Well-Known Member

I prefer to know price list of rifle only and scope only. I recently made an offer on a advertised scoped rifle and the gentleman said he didn't want to seperate. That is his option, but for me selling either one would be a win.

10. browning442

browning442 Well-Known Member

I'd say in general most people are only after either a scope or a rifle.... generally if they like the rifle, they would have their own idea for a scope. Or vice versa. 95% of the time i've listed the combo - people ask me to break out pricing for the scope and rifle.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  11. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

Optics, bipod, slings etc, never had a impact on a value assessment when I deal with gun shops. It can be taken into consideration when dealing with a private sale.

12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I've bought some combo's over the years and I always figure the scope is only worth about half of it's retail price unless it's a high end optic. That way i can just figure on selling the scope on ebay as soon as I get the rifle in and not get hurt too bad.

Mostly when I see those "deals" online or in the stores it tends to be a cheap/budget scope anyhow that someone just slapped on planning to never shoot over 200yds anyhow.

gohring3006 likes this.
  13. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

Yea I’m guilty of that too.. I save all the low end scopes and bipods I get in deals for rifles that I sell.
    I’ve dealt a few combos off, where a gun shop wouldn’t give any more for the rifle even if it had a decent scope worth several hundred dollars. So I always take the high end stuff off of a rifle I sell.

14. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

it's a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20, so a decent scope, not high end. I am going to split it anyway as I spoke to the dealer I bought it from today and he will buy it back for a decent price if I buy replacement scope from him.