Rifle recommendations

Townsend

I am looking at buying a new rifle. I am pretty committed to 7mm Rem., although I have considered 28 Nosler as well.

This would be my primary hunting rifle for elk, mule deer, hopefully desert bighorn at some point, ect.

The rifle needs to be all weather, able to be carried, put in a scabbert on a horse, ATV, ect.

I'm looking to keep the entire package (rifle, scope, bipod) under $4,000.

This rifle would also be my introductory into extending my range as shooter. I've rarely taken shots over 300 yards in the past. I want a rifle that I can start pushing that range outwards with. Of course I understand that's mostly on myself not the rifle but this would be the rifle that I learn and practice with to extend my range.

I've handled a few contenders, Christensen Arms Ridgeline and Mesa (I really like the Traverse on paper but they didn't have one in the store), Fierce Edge, and a Cooper. I liked the feel of the Fierce the best, but it's also the most expensive, meaning a cheaper optic.

I'm looking for any recommendations or advice on both rifle and scope. How much should be spent on rifle vs. scope? I have always focused more on the rifle in the past but I'm starting to think I need to save more for the scope.

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I think that any of the rifles that you mentioned would do fine for what you are looking for. I would pick the one that fits you best. I have no experience with the Fierce, but have shot both Coopers and CA's. They were both good shooters. As far as optics go, that is another story. I would get the best optics that you can afford. Go look through several in your price range and pick one that looks best to you. For a hunting rifle, I like the Zeiss Conquest V6. It is lighter with very good glass and repeatable turrets.

First question: are you going to reload for this rifle or use factory ammo?? If factory ammo is your answer, then go the 7 Rem Mag route, for you will have lots of options and can find that ammo on the shelf anywhere you go.
The 28 Nosler is an awesome round and will give you more horsepower than the Rem Mag, but you'll still be able to reach out there with the Rem Mag without any issues. I own a 7 STW which is the "older" version of the 28 Nosler. It's one of my favorite rifles and cartridges.
I own a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic in 338 Lapua. The rifle is very light, recoil is nothing with the brake on, and it's a tack driver. I put a NF ATACR 5-25x56 scope on it and it balances out the rifle very well. I don't notice the rifle at all when I'm hiking up and down mountain sides while hunting. If you can find a Traverse model, I think you'd be very happy. Cooper makes excellent rifles, too. I know people that own them and they love them.
Spend as much money as you possibly can on you optics. I've slowly replaced all of the original optics on all of my rifles for higher end scopes over the years. It took me looking through a friends Swarovski's to understand what I was truly missing. It does make a difference.

Just did the Seekins Havak with a Leupold Mark 5 HD for the same all purpose rifle. Still waiting on the rifle so no range report.

I appreciate all the input here. I ended up going with the Christensen Arms Traverse in 7mm Remington. I'll be putting a Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret on it and a Magpul bipod.

Rifle and scope should arrive this weekend and I'll post some pictures and groups if a
goes well

I appreciate all the input here. I ended up going with the Christensen Arms Traverse in 7mm Remington. I'll be putting a Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret on it and a Magpul bipod.

Rifle and scope should arrive this weekend and I'll post some pictures and groups if a
goes well
Good choice. I have a Z5 on my 300 WSM and love it. Get a custom turret built by Swarovski once you decide on a load. Also, you only can dial one revolution on the elevation turret, but there is a way to disable that. There is a video on YouTube that walks you through it........if you want to. I didn't mess with mine just because I can dial out to 750 yards with a 200 yards zero, and I won't shoot game even out that far (I stay 500 yards and in)

Townsend, I have also been looking to purchase a new 7mm Rem and considered purchasing Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Traverse or Classic. Did you also consider any other Christensen Arms models, and if so what made you select the Traverse over other models. Also am very interested to hear your thoughts on the Traverse's features and performance after your first range session.

I did look at the Ridgeline as well as Mesa in the CA's. For me it came down to the stock. I like the Monte Carlo stocks, just felt better to me. The Traverse is a bit heavier than the Ridgeline but that wasn't much of a factor for my application. If they made a Mesa with the same stock I would have looked at that as well.

I could have bought a Mesa and had an aftermarket stock installed for even money compared to the Traverse. Problem there was I couldn't find anyone around here with the stocks I was looking at (McMillan Gamescout I think it was), so I was a little hesitant to go that route.

Townsend, I have also been looking to purchase a new 7mm Rem and considered purchasing Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Traverse or Classic. Did you also consider any other Christensen Arms models, and if so what made you select the Traverse over other models. Also am very interested to hear your thoughts on the Traverse's features and performance after your first range session.

Townsend, any updates? I am a 7RM fan myself and have also been considering the CAs or something similar in hopefully not to distant future.
How is the fit and finish on your traverse?
How does it shoot?
your ammo choices and how did they group?
Would love to hear more :)
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts