Rifle primer question!

From my experience, I use what shoots best for me, and so far it has been using Federal 210 or Federal 210M match primers. For some strange reason, I was able to find a box for CCI BR-2 primers I am looking forward to trying. And of course right now, it's kinda use what you can find and remeber what did or didn't work how you wanted it to for future use!

Probably 75% I use CCI 250's. My favorite followed by Federal 215's. I find the CCI are a bit harder which gives an early pressure sign if they start to flatten. Have tried two different primers with same powder load no discernable difference. Use magnum primers in all calibers magnum or not. Use them from working up load to completion. Never had an issue.
I am in the same boat now with mag primers. I have mags but no standard and had to start working up loads with mag primers. A eye opener over the chrony. Thank God I have one

Some info:

redirected to primer cup dimensions

I have 3,000 Fiocchi standard large rifle primers and use them in loads having less than 60 grains with more than satisfactory results.

The DDNP primer is a no-lead styphanate primer or "green" primer, heavy metal & zinc free and I have 600 of these - Fiocchi small rifle magnum ZETAPi primers and use them in .20P & .204R loads with IMR 8208 with good results - no misfires, good groups, & relatively consistent velocities. For loads using CFE223 I use CCI 41's.

The tiny little Rem 7 1/2 is one frisky primer & I use these in my 6.5X47 Lapua with H4350 or RamShot Hunter (cheap & periodically available)

Last edited:
Any if you ever used CCI 200 or Remington 9 1/2 (large rifle) in a 300 win mag or wby mag? I have some rifles that it is exactly what they like with 180 grn bullets
Those are the exact primers that I lucked up on here recently
9071C224-EE32-467B-BB6D-30204D05665A.jpeg

Some info:

redirected to primer cup dimensions

I have 3,000 Fiocchi standard large rifle primers and use them in loads having less than 60 grains with more than satisfactory results.

The DDNP primer is a no-lead styphanate primer or "green" primer, heavy metal & zinc free and I have 600 of these - Fiocchi small rifle magnum ZETAPi primers and use them in .20P & .204R loads with IMR 8208 with good results - no misfires, good groups, & relatively consistent velocities. For loads using CFE223 I use CCI 41's.

The tiny little Rem 7 1/2 is one frisky primer & I use these in my 6.5X47 Lapua with H4350 or RamShot Hunter (cheap & periodically available)
I'm using CCI LR primers in 308 Winchester Lapua brass, 175 gr Matchking and 45.5 gr. Hodgdon CFE223 powder. I'm getting on average 1 miss fire per 50 is a guess. Primers aren't old. 1½ years at most from Midway. I'm suspecting the density of the powder? Not sure. It is agitating when it happens. Around 75% of the time a second strike will ignite them. Savage m10 and the strikes look to be relatively hard. I ordered a new firing pin assembly and it's in. I will be changing it out this afternoon, if the creeks don't rise and the good Lord is willing.

I'm using CCI LR primers in 308 Winchester Lapua brass, 175 gr Matchking and 45.5 gr. Hodgdon CFE223 powder. I'm getting on average 1 miss fire per 50 is a guess. Primers aren't old. 1½ years at most from Midway. I'm suspecting the density of the powder? Not sure. It is agitating when it happens. Around 75% of the time a second strike will ignite them. Savage m10 and the strikes look to be relatively hard. I ordered a new firing pin assembly and it's in. I will be changing it out this afternoon, if the creeks don't rise and the good Lord is willing.
Keep me updated please

Keep me updated please
Changed the firing pin assembly in my rifle. The original had a squared end. The new was a tad longer with a radius end. Range session went without FTF.
The primer strikes look more normal now. In this process I also found firing pin springs to be extinct, but also the pin length is adjustable. Thinking about disassembling the old one. Rounding the end and adjusting length to match the new one for a spare pin, spring or assembly. As I think the problem was the pins end and not the spring. I'll be back out shooting soon. If I have more failures to fire I will update.
Thanks for the help
Sorry, but by the way. The CCI primers are from Midway. I purchased around a year ago.

Back in the late 90's I had some slow ignition on some loads with CCI primers and I called their hotline (back then)and spoke to a person that asked how do you store your primers and I replied in an old coffee can with a lid.He said your are supposed to store your primers in an open container so they don't sweat.Sweating can cause fail to fire or slow ignition so since then I store my primers in an open coffee plastic container with no lid on top.That stopped my problem.

Let me clarify.
Back then I lived in South Louisiana and left all reloading stuff in an out building in the sun.I would reload in the evening with a small a/c but did not leave it on all day so temps got warm in that building so the guy at CCI said the can of primers with a lid on got way too hot!
That caused my problem with inconsistant primer detonation.
The primers contain nitrocellulose that degrades when over heated and I had droplets of moisture on the inside of the lid and either degraded or sweating primers caused my problems.
I live in Montana now since 1998 and don't have that problem as I have a heated basement so the temps don't swing to bad to worry about the problems I had in Louisiana

The meat and potatoes data points start about halfway in