Rifle primer question!

dgkypke

Anybody have a tried and true favorite on Primers? I need Large Magnum rifle primers, and suggestions, and maybe elaborate why? What is the difference between regular magnums and match grade? Consistency? .264 Win Mag, 7MM REM Mag, .338 Win Mag and .308 Norma Mag. Thank you in advance!

In my tests, Winchester primers, either magnum or standard in both small and large are the hottest.
Federal primers are next hottest and CCI follow those and Remington were the coldest.
I let the load tell me what primer it likes.
Normally test both standard and magnum in ALL cases I run, then test different brands too.
In my tests, often Winchester primers produce the accuracy load, but not in every instance.

Cheers.

In my tests, Winchester primers, either magnum or standard in both small and large are the hottest.
Federal primers are next hottest and CCI follow those and Remington were the coldest.
I let the load tell me what primer it likes.
Normally test both standard and magnum in ALL cases I run, then test different brands too.
In my tests, often Winchester primers produce the accuracy load, but not in every instance.

Cheers.
I concur, With that being said I have always used CCI 200's for almost everything, I am using the CCI250 in the 300RUM

I'm a federal 215 +- M fan for magnum loads.
I'll use others sparingly and the only fail to fire primers I've ever used were CCI... not many... like a handful. I'm still reluctant to use that brand even though the LR BR CCI is very accurate in my 308 load.
I've not had luck with winchester, but keep trying them.
I've heard the same thing about CCI's from another friend of mine, I guess I have been lucky to never have a fail to fire so far

Let your rifle tell you what it likes.

I usually start with Rem or Fed cause I have more of them. Also keep CCI LR, Mag, SR, and BR, Rem SR, LR. Sometimez just changing the primer makes a big difference.
Big difference… elaborate? Just trying to get a base standard. Mid to slower burn rate 4350 powder. What are some signs of "difference"?

If you you work up a load and you can only get it to shoot, say, .7 and you want better - shoot the same load, but change to another primer of the same type. For ex., initial load developed with Rem LR. Switch to Fed LR, or CCI BR. Group shrinks to .4!
Now - don't switch from LR to Mag. It's OK to switch from Mag to LR. LR won't increase pressure (shouldn't).

Last edited:
If you you work up a load and you can only get it to shoot, say, .7 and you want better - shoot the same load, but change to another primer of the same type. For ex., initial load developed with Rem LR. Switch to Fed LR, or CCI BR. Group shrinks to .4!
Now - don't switch from LR to Mag. It's OK to switch from Mag to LR. LR won't increase pressure (shouldn't).
Yep