Rifle options. $2000 budget.

longrangehunter

Need suggestions on the most value for the buck. Would like something accurate out to 800+ yards. This will be my big game rifle for Antelope to Elk. Primarily Elk. I don't have time to get into reloading at this time so will be using factory ammo only. 95% sure I want to go with a 300 WM as it seems to have the best selection of ammo at a reasonable price. I'm not recoil adverse.

$2000 is the budget for just the rifle. Maybe $2500 depending on the feedback. I already have a decent scope, rings, and bases (Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3). Also have a Rem 700 Jewell Trigger and H&S PSS stock I can reuse.

So what should I do? Buy a factory HB like a Remington XCR Tactical, look for a used custom, ???

Edit: I would like to stay around 8.5-9.5 lbs for the rifle not including scope, etc.

New, full custom!!

Trued Rem 700..$750
Brux #5 fluted...$480
Hinged floor plate..$125
Wyatts mag box...$85
Pinned recoil lug...$60

Chamber, thread, and crown..$200
Bedding...$200
DPG brake, installed..$200
Bead blast finish..$50

Total...$2150

Consider this a quote. Guaranteed to shoot half inch or better. Expect better! Superb accuracy, great customer service, fast turn around!

Give me a ring.

Thanks Grit. I just may do that. I'm not sure I would want the brake. I've never used them before. What would the rifle weigh?

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks!

That sure looks like an awesome build by grit, not sure if you could end up with a better rifle for the same $$.

I personally do not like muzzle brakes... way too loud for my ears when I'm hunting. But if you have any flinching issues with recoil then a brake would be nice. Just don't shoot the **** thing without hearing protection!

I'm waiting on a custom build right now and I stayed away from the ultra mags as I knew I could not shoot them accurately, shot after shot, without a brake. So I chose to go with the 300wm...

Thanks Grit. I just may do that. I'm not sure I would want the brake. I've never used them before. What would the rifle weigh?

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks!

Aproximately, 9.5 lbs. Weight can be tailored to your taste by adjusting barrel length and contour.

Brakes are great for reducing reoil (lots easier to shoot accurately if you aren't hanging on like it's your first girl), and allowing you to spot your own shots. If you've never watched your bullets hit, it'll make you smile, for sure!

It would be nice to be able to spot my own shots. :)
Does my aluminum block stock need bedded? I've read varying theories on that, but have yet to see any hard data to support it one way or another.

It would be nice to be able to spot my own shots. :)
Does my aluminum block stock need bedded? I've read varying theories on that, but have yet to see any hard data to support it one way or another.

It may very well meet your standards unbedded. I have seen guns shoot great in unbedded aluminum blocks. However, if you bed it properly, the performance will either be the same or better. Your 1/2" groups may turn into 1/4" groups, and your unexplained flyers may not appear quite as frequently.

I know of a guy selling a Hart 300 RUM. Think he wants 2100 bare rifle, and 3k for rifle plus Huskemaw optics. I was gonna look at it tonight, but I'm not real interested. I'll take some pix for you.

It may very well meet your standards unbedded. I have seen guns shoot great in unbedded aluminum blocks. However, if you bed it properly, the performance will either be the same or better. Your 1/2" groups may turn into 1/4" groups, and your unexplained flyers may not appear quite as frequently.

You explained that very well. Thanks!

I know of a guy selling a Hart 300 RUM. Think he wants 2100 bare rifle, and 3k for rifle plus Huskemaw optics. I was gonna look at it tonight, but I'm not real interested. I'll take some pix for you.

PM inbound.

I'd take the builder up on his offer, why... 1/2" guarantee, that'll put you in the vitals of an elk further than the round has the energy to really do its job

Or, take a gamble on something else

As far as a brake, that would be a definitely for me, and wear hearing protection, regardless of where you are, range, hunting, competition...etc.

I use Howard leight electronic muffs, they flat out work, and at only $60. They enhance your hearing, then protect for the shot, they've been great for me out yote hunting.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check if the elec. muffs are legal here.

I use them when spotting and such and have never seen anything in the regs prohibiting them.

I use the Surefire in-ear ones when actually hunting, all of the muffs don't sit well with me as far as cheek weld

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.