Rifle mounted tripod?

wapitiaddict

A couple years ago I read a post on another forum by a small bipod/tripod maker that a rifle mounted tripod, using a picatinny, mlock, or swival stud mount, would cause inaccuracies and are useless. He said that mounted tripods don't allow the gun to recoil straight back and instead cause the barrel to flip up because the tripod will pivot backwards when there is a third leg. He also said that they are essentially useless because a person's shoulder or a rear bag rest acts as the third leg of a bipod setup. I can understand that point.

However, lately I've been seeing quite a few rifle mounted tripod setups, some of which are from custom long range shops. Any opinions on this matter?

Note, he did state that if you want to use a tripod, to use one with a yoke or rest, these allow the rifle to recoil straight back.

I shoot a lot off a RRS tripod with either their Vyce mount or the rifle mounted directly to the tripod head via a qd clamp plate. I haven't had much of an issue at all honestly. You need to learn how to setup on a tripod in various positions to be as stable as possible. I also make sure to get straight behind the rifle, just like shooting prone, when possible. The fundamentals of marksmanship still apply to shooting from a tripod. Shooting everything from a 5.56 to a 300 Win Mag to over 1000 yards off a tripod, it's the most stable position behind prone or a bench.

The legs should be wide at back with one in front,is recommended.Like how a bipod sits.

The legs should be wide at back with one in front,is recommended.Like how a bipod sits.
That's what I was thinking, but wouldn't that be not as stable since most of the weight of the rifle is at the rear? But maybe that doesn't matter as much.... I've never shot with a tripod so I really don't know.

A lot of competition shooters use big tripods, me included. I can tell you that a good rifle mounted on an ARCA rail on a good tripod is as close to prone stable as you can get without laying down. I can easily hit out to 800-1000 off a seated position where my rifle is mounted to my tripod. the legs are spread wide and adjusted for height, and it's super stable. If you don't practice it, don't try it first in the field. I have an arca head on my hunting light tripod just so I can clamp the rifle in for a more stable shot if possible.

Alaskan, Are you using a chassis,or have rail mnt to rifle.My light set up is a compromise.Its my smaller tripod,or my oudoorsman to my pic rail,that I also use for atlas.Thats in my pouch ,sometimes just have tripod or vice versa

Wapiti, Im using small set up that I already pack for spotter.Gives me more options than bipod alone.But mine is not at balance point or support alone.The guys running full size,wide at rear ,even standing.My believe it lets rifle rock/recoil back.Plus the have there forearm on backleg also for more support.Ive shot elk pretty far off a skimpy snipod,but was sitting and backed into a large tree. my set up is 2#.The guys in comp sure more than double,and probably twice as solid

Wapiti, Im using small set up that I already pack for spotter.Gives me more options than bipod alone.But mine is not at balance point or support alone.The guys running full size,wide at rear ,even standing.My believe it lets rifle rock/recoil back.Plus the have there forearm on backleg also for more support.Ive shot elk pretty far off a skimpy snipod,but was sitting and backed into a large tree. my set up is 2#.The guys in comp sure more than double,and probably twice as solid
I've looked at those snipepods too. I might get one for backpack hunting. There is a YouTube video of a guy shooting an elk at 900 yards with one.

the one I shoot like that the most is my comp rifle, has a full 14" arca rail on the forend. I also have an arca head on my light tripod that doubles as pic rail clamp. With that one, I can reliably shoot 500+. That tripod is about 2lbs, carbon fiber. When I shoot my 300WM off of it, I clamp the bipod pic rail into the ball head and support the butt with a tucked bag under my arm. I wouldn't shoot like that standing, but as high as a kneel it works very well.

A lot of competition shooters use big tripods, me included. I can tell you that a good rifle mounted on an ARCA rail on a good tripod is as close to prone stable as you can get without laying down. I can easily hit out to 800-1000 off a seated position where my rifle is mounted to my tripod. the legs are spread wide and adjusted for height, and it's super stable. If you don't practice it, don't try it first in the field. I have an arca head on my hunting light tripod just so I can clamp the rifle in for a more stable shot if possible.
Does the POI change when switching from a tripod to shooting off a bag or other rest? I'm just wondering if that would present a problem in the field if I needed/wanted to take a shot prone or off a boulder instead of attached to the tripod?

with practice and good rig, the POI shouldn't really change. You may see a bit of vertical, but it can be managed. Knowing the true limits of your acceptable accuracy is the key. If it gives you too much vertical at 800, might have to dial it back to 600 max. I make a dedicated point of practicing the tripod shots with all my hunting and comp rifles,because it may make all the difference in an $800 OTC elk tag. This last year the tripod got me a great shot a 325yds on a nice 12pt missouri buck. Without the tripod, the lay of the land would not have allowed for a prone shot, and no cover to stalk closer.

with practice and good rig, the POI shouldn't really change. You may see a bit of vertical, but it can be managed. Knowing the true limits of your acceptable accuracy is the key. If it gives you too much vertical at 800, might have to dial it back to 600 max. I make a dedicated point of practicing the tripod shots with all my hunting and comp rifles,because it may make all the difference in an $800 OTC elk tag. This last year the tripod got me a great shot a 325yds on a nice 12pt missouri buck. Without the tripod, the lay of the land would not have allowed for a prone shot, and no cover to stalk closer.

Thanks for the response. I know what you mean about needing multiple ways to make shots. A couple of years ago I had a chance at a large mature bull. We were both out in a sage flat and I was caught with my pants down (not literally). The sage was too tall to even try kneeling, let alone prone. No large rocks, elevation or tree that I could get to without being seen. I took a shot off a scrub brush, but it was not the most stable and I missed, never to see the bull again.

yep, and a light tripod elevated about half way up may have made all the difference. I'll take some pictures of my setup when I get home, and you'll get the idea. Being able to mount the rifle on the tripod, either in a pig saddle or on a rail, is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.