Rifle mounted tripod/bipod adapters

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Figured I would make a more official thread for these mounts now that I am a sponsor. I will be very thorough but if you have any more questions please shoot me a pm or email.

The past few years I've had missed shot opportunities due to the terrain not cooperating for shot positions. I glass off a tripod so I designed an adapter to allow me to quickly put my rifle on my tripod for a shot.

There are saddle type options but they tend to be clunky and heavy. With a stock mounted option it's quick and lightweight. Other options have long lengths that add weight and aren't as strong.

Currently I have a titanium option that is only 1.7" long and mounts to Arca Swiss tripod heads. It's weight is .87 oz.

The second mount option I have is meant for a forward mount and incorporates a picatinny rail section for a bipod and also a sling stud in the rear tucked up behind the arca dovetail. It is made out of 7075 aluminum (more detail on that later) and weighs 1.1 oz.

Both of these designs can be ordered with 10-32 or 1/4-20 fasteners, and I include tee nuts for mounting to your stock. Bolt spacing on the Ti version is 1.2" with one side being slightly slotted to allow for locational error. The arca+pic version will accommodate bolt spacing from 1.2" to slightly over 3".

Currently both mounts are available with a flat bottom, but I can make a run of radius bottom or mounting on more rounded style stocks. With the materials I am using though, a flat bottom mount on a rounded stock will not warp or distort because of use.

For surface finishes, the Titanium mount can be garnet blasted (a full grey) or I can flame anodize them which give a pretty cool multicolor finish. The arca+pic mount comes in a bead blasted aluminum finish.

I enjoy working extremely tough materials and don't like to compromise strength to reduce my costs. This is why I have chosen Titanium, and 7075 aluminum. Most people are familiar with why titanium is so popular for lightweight options. It has a strength to weight ratio of around 250 kN. For aluminum, the industry standard is 6061 aluminum, because it's decently strong and quite affordable. When compared to 7075 though, they are night and day. The strength to weight ratio of 6061 is 115kN and 7075 is 196 kN. So 7075 is on average 1.7 times as strong as 6061.

Playing around with one of my rifles on the tripod using the arca+pic mount, you can use it with the bipod legs deployed and go from a steady shot on the tripod, to prone on the bipod in 5 seconds.

I'm currently designing versions to work with outdoorsmans heads and then manfrotto next.

Pricing for the ultralight Ti arca rail is $65, and the arca+pic is $55, shipped CONUS.
3F3098FD-C7C6-4627-A319-B000C84032C2.jpeg
2AD3E9E8-8254-44E1-829C-12762DFEE303.jpeg
36589102-928E-422E-A123-7F4D1C9E9CD2.jpeg

Looks like high quality design and build. This is exactly what i need. I will be buying one soon. Well done sir

Livetohunt -

Howdy !

This reminds of the camera tripod " adapter " Fred Sinclair made for me in the late -70s.....

I asked him to machine a threaded aluminum " pillar ", and install it in the fore end of my rifle's McMillan
M-40 stock ; in-lieu of the sling stud.

The adapter accommodated the course threaded thumbwheel screw provided w/ camera tripods.
Mine was a 16lb varmint rifle. The adapter helped the occasional standing shot be easier to make, and operation of the whole set-up was simplicity itself.

With regards,
357Mag

I have one of his TI mounts on a Savage Desert Tactical in 6creed. With the accustock I was able to drill and tap the internal aluminum frame for the mounting screws. The radius matched the bottom perfectly.

About the crafts man ship. The machine work is superb. I didnt find any machine tool marks any where. Ti is a pain in the dick to work with. Everything has to be exactly right to get results like this. Material quality, tool geometry, coolant selection and application, machine program, fixturing...everything. I can tell a lot of time and thought went into this piece. On top of this he takes the time to flame colorize the piece to make it unique.

I highly recommend these arca rails if you are looking for a light weight build.

Attachments

• 20200420_195447.jpg
    20200420_195447.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 437
Hey good timing on this. I just wanted to chime in and say I got a test copy of the titanium arca plate from OP awhile back. I just got back from an axis hunt in south Texas and shot a buck at 500 off a tripod using the plate.

All my measurements and weights aligned with OP's claims, and I noticed no POI shift while checking zero for the hunt.

With turkey season going on I haven't put a ton of rounds down range using the plate but it has given me no reason to believe it won't perform or cause any issues. Installation was on a Tikka T3x stock using the radius bottomed version. Tikkas have some reinforcement in the forened that make installation difficult with t-nuts but helicoils reinforced with 2 part epoxy have worked great using OP's product and others. Happy to answer any questions but it gets a thumbs up from me

I just put a rail mounted tripod adapter from Aristotle Engineering on my AR. Nothing much to it, but with a full mag and the suppressor, it balanced perfectly. I know they have a clamp style rifle adapter as well. Might be worth looking at these.

Very nice work. My late father was a metallurgist and you're right about 7075 vs 6061. I have a couple of saddle mounts for my camera tripods and then a smaller Spartan tripod. Your solution looks like a great solution between these two.

For the Arca + Pic, is it machined from a piece of forged 7075?

For the Arca + Pic, can the aluminum be anodized?

Thanks!

Very nice work. My late father was a metallurgist and you're right about 7075 vs 6061. I have a couple of saddle mounts for my camera tripods and then a smaller Spartan tripod. Your solution looks like a great solution between these two.

For the Arca + Pic, is it machined from a piece of forged 7075?

For the Arca + Pic, can the aluminum be anodized?

Thanks!

It's aircraft grade billet 7075.

Yes, 7075 can be hard coat anodized. I'm going to be looking into having them coated soon, but for now I am just starting out and I can't afford the added cost plus at least a months lead time for anodizing. (Manufacturing is crazy backed up right now)