Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

I'm not being narrow minded, I'm just trying to explain to you guys that hunting turkeys with a rifle you miss the true spirit of Turkey hunting (period) . Turkeys in Texas and the mid west are easy prey to began with , add a rifle and it s no sport anymore.
With your logic then hunting deer with a deer rifle is not Hunting. You should only hunt deer with a spear tipped with a flint stone head and fixed in place with pine tar and sinew. Otherwise its not deer hunting.
I am an evolved human, so I will use the best tools available to me.

I was audited by the IRS (ONCE) many years ago. Back in the days of slide rules. I had purchased one of the first 4 function pocket calculators. The auditor said it was NOT a tool of the trade (engineer) and I could NOT deduct it. He said, "You can do calculations with a pencil and paper." I argued that he let a carpenter deduct his hammer as a tool of the trade even though he could hammer the nails with a rock. It was a loosing argument in those early days.
If I hunted Turkey, which I dont, I would use a hand grenade. Cooks the meat and separates the pieces while plucking it.......

I was audited by the IRS (ONCE) many years ago. Back in the days of slide rules. I had purchased one of the first 4 function pocket calculators. The auditor said it was NOT a tool of the trade (engineer) and I could NOT deduct it. He said, "You can do calculations with a pencil and paper." I argued that he let a carpenter deduct his hammer as a tool of the trade even though he could hammer the nails with a rock. It was a loosing argument in those early days.
If I hunted Turkey, which I dont, I would use a hand grenade. Cooks the meat and separates the pieces while plucking it.......
I just love your sense of humor!

I prefer shooting them with the bow, but I have harvested them incidental to deer or elk with a rifle.

Here in Pa. you are allowed to use centerfire rifles during the fall season. It has been a few years since I have been out after them. I have taken 2 so far with a 220 Swift. I hunt fields and just wait them out, some do travel in the fields, then I'll go to work.

HK gun)

Just to be clear, we are allowed to use rim rimfire as well. And, I have no qualms with shooting a turkey with a rifle. I've said for years that I'm a turkey shooter, not hunter 😅

Like most things in life there is no one size fits all situations, or even one opinion being right for all situations.
Things are constantly changing, including the environment we choose to do our hunting.
When i was a young man, by and large you wouldnt see more than about 50 yards in the woods due to the tree size. Today in most places you can see 100 yards or even further. That alone can have an impact on the type gun one chooses. Especially in areas where there are no farms or other open field areas that would offer food for turkeys. In the big woods areas of the state which includes pretty much all of the NC region, its just woods, with only the gas and power lines offering a different environment. As a result turkeys are constantly on the move looking for food. If you locate a flock and can break them up as in scatter them, then calling is a good option. But first you gotta find them, and theres always the possibility that they have already found you when that happens, again due to the environment.
Spring hunting is a whole different situation, and the laws in Pa dictate shotguns only for that season.
Now the farm areas of the state where there are mostly large fields with just patches of woods in some areas are a different situation also. They have to be somewhere, and if not in the fields where they can be seen, then they only have one other option. And its just a question of finding the right patch of woods.
I have broken up flocks crossing dirt mountain roads with my vehicle. In fact where i hunt in the NC region, that is actually a very good method of hunting them. Especially when you get into the final years of your life.

Yes. but some times just reach out & grab.
Turkeys 005.JPG